Senior Electrical Engineer (SW) -
L3 Technologies is the 6 th largest Defense Contractor in the Command, Control, Communications, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (C 3 ISR) systems market and a leading provider of a broad range of electronic systems used on both military and commercial platforms. L3 Technologies employs approximately 38,000 people worldwide with reported 2015 sales of $10.5 billion, and has just been voted by Forbes Magazine as one of the Top 50 Companies to work for. About L3 Brashear Located in RIDC Park on Route 28 near Pittsburgh, PA , L3 Brashear designs and produces complex electro-optical and electro-mechanical systems for the defense, aerospace and commercial markets. As a recognized leader in optical technologies, our products, and precision optical capabilities enable high energy laser missions, fire control solutions, and stabilized tracking systems. We pioneered the use and development of high energy laser beam director systems. The exceptional quality, ruggedness and reliability that have made Brashear’s military tracking and range instrumentation systems benchmarks for performance have also been incorporated in our precision, high-energy beam director systems. About the Role Reporting into the Manager of Systems Controls, the Electrical Engineer will participate in all phases of design and development for electrical components and systems. The system solutions involve complex electro-mechanical and electro-optical technologies for defense applications. Typical project assignments involve planning and execution of complex system designs. This senior level position derives requirements for detailed design based on customer mission descriptions as well as standards and experience. The position leads other engineers through implementation and test. The position may require work as a subject matter expert and often interfaces with customer and partner technical peers Specific Responsibilities
- Work with an inter-disciplinary design team to propose electrical architectures, subsystem and component solutions and determine performance requirements for these solutions.
- Complete designs of electrical subsystems and components given a set of specifications as an individual contributor or small team leader. Design tasks may include generation of circuit schematics and signal flow diagrams, creation of custom circuit boards, layout of electrical chassis and system cabling, cost estimation, test planning and design documentation.
- Perform integration and test of electrical-optical and electro-mechanical systems as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Execute tasks according to an agreed upon schedule and budget.
- Organize and distribute project work to other staff members to allow efficient project execution of small teams.
- Maintain organized design and test notes / files to allow design reviews in accordance with L3 engineering process.
Desired Experience, Skills and Education
- BS or MS in Electrical Engineering.
- Familiarity with EDA and CAE design tools for electrical engineering.
- Experience in electrical engineering implementations including circuit board design with FPGA, embedded systems, defense applications / environments, device interfaces, and power electronics.
- Written and oral communication skills required.
- Experience in defense EMC, electro-optical systems and electronic systems for aircraft preferred.
- Due to the nature of our work as a DoD contractor, all applicants must be a US Citizen with the ability to obtain US Secret Clearance.