Senior Electrical Engineer - Power Systems, Continuing and Sustaining Engineering
The Sonos Continuing and Sustaining Engineering (CaSE) Team drives all design changes for cost reduction and performance improvement to Sonos products once they are released into mass production. Challenges include: keeping up with ever-expanding manufacturing volumes, finding and testing ideas for product improvements, improving yields and driving down costs, improving product reliability and sustainability, and enhancing manufacturing reproducible.
As the CaSE team continues to grow, we are adding a senior engineer to focus on the power system aspects of our product designs. This position will focus on Continuing projects related to electrical designs in addition to supporting traditional Sustaining responsibilities. This role will include hands-on engineering work, direct interaction with our contract manufacturers as well as project management work.
Our band is large. And while there’s plenty of room for all kinds of personalities and skill sets to succeed, there are certain qualities that will help you thrive here.
Like a never-accept-less work ethic. An exceptionally low ego-to-talent ratio (none of the first, tons of the latter). A relentless craving to push past your limits and try new things. The smarts and the humble confidence to take on big challenges, make mistakes fast and early, embrace tough feedback, then recover quickly with fresh, startlingly perfect solutions. A fearless willingness to defend great work. And a tendency to totally geek out on music.
If this sounds like you, read on and let’s connect soon.
What You’ll Do
- Identify opportunities for cost reduction and performance improvement. Plan for a project and estimate resources needed.
- Responsible for electrical related projects that affect products in production. Work includes addressing supply related problems, yield problems, failure analysis, cost reduction, and performance improvements.
- Lead a project team of multiple disciplines to drive a design change for a specific purpose.
- Provide technical guidance to team members including troubleshooting, design, and validation testing, etc.
- Provide “lessons-learned” feedback to the Product Development team and participate in design reviews to ensure the next generations of Sonos product are better than ever!
- Partner cross-functionally with Quality, Customer Service, and Compliance to fully understand the user experience and any design change implications.
- Drive continuous improvements in test processes.
Skills You’ll Need
- Minimum BSEE, preferably MSEE
- 10+ years’ experience in electrical engineering in product development of consumer electronics, especially in the development of switching power supply designs (high-efficiency AC-to-DC conversion, DC-DC converters, point-of-load regulators, etc.)
- 5+ years’ experience in managing projects and/or directing the work of a small engineering team.
- Ability in recognizing the level of urgency of problems and knows how to prioritize projects.
- Exceptional troubleshooting skills and system-level technical knowledge.
- Technically inquisitive – must be able to take on new technical challenges and learn new technical skills on-the-fly and apply the knowledge to solve the issue at hand.
- Ability to propose, set up, and execute validation testing plans with minimal guidance.
- Well-developed reporting skills, including the ability to summarize complicated issues.
- Experience with a wide variety of test equipment including: oscilloscopes, multimeters, impedance analyzers, current probes, thermocouples.
- Experience with data collection and statistical analysis methods.
- Experience with digital electronics (CPU, memory, codec, networking, etc.)
- Experience using RF and/or EMC test equipment (network analyzers, spectrum analyzers, Agilent or IQFlex WiFi analyzers).
- Experience using audio test equipment (AP, Klippel, Clio, SoundCheck, etc.).
- Knowledge of compliance and regulatory requirements and testing procedures.
- Knowledge in safety requirements.
- Experience in the Audio or Music Instrument industry; other industries involved in high-vibration environments may be applicable.
- Experience working with Asian contract manufacturers.