The Senior Electrical Engineer works independently on various projects as assigned by a Project Manager or Group Leader. The Senior Electrical Engineer may oversee the entire design process or assist as a technical expert on a specialized design; may work on several concurrent projects; is a recognized electrical expert.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Assesses the requirements of a project, break a project into tasks, and work with a Project Manager to determine scope of work, budget and staffing.
- Writes scope of work for electrical design based on preliminary review and meetings with the client.
- Prepares engineering studies and schematic design for new systems and analyze operation of existing systems.
- Works with code officials and other design professionals when an interpretation or exception to building codes is required.
- Assigns and review work of project design team. Check progress of work and alert Project Manager to change of scope or additional services.
- Reviews contractor application for payments. Has a thorough understanding of the construction process.
- Coordinates all aspects of project document completion within company and externally with clients and other design professionals.
- Prepares or reviews construction budgets based on experience and scope of project.
- Promotes use of and participates in development of company design and production standards.
- Assists in the education and development of design staff and act as resource for design questions.
- Uses computer-assisted engineering and design software and equipment to prepare engineering and design documents.
- Creates specialized drawings such as electrical riser diagrams.
- Provides drawing for own designs and produces sketches to incorporate in drawings by drafters.
- Researches design options and document findings for Project Designer/Engineer.
- Assures that drawings and designs are in accordance with company production and design standards.
- Special projects as assigned.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Minimum 8 years' previous design experience. Pharmaceutical, Biotech, Nutraceutical or Life Science industry experience is strongly preferred.
- Bachelors of Engineering Degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited university.
- Registered Professional Engineer is strongly preferred.
- Expertise in computer operation for engineering design programs and computer aided drafting (AutoCAD, Revit, etc.)
- Experience with design of building electrical systems, such as: building service, power distribution, generators, lighting, fire alarm, security and other low voltage systems is a must.
- Must also have a strong understanding of the National Electric Code (NEC), NFPA 70E, NFPA 72, IBC and other related building codes and standards.
- Experience with medium voltage systems, electrical hazardous classified areas, and telecommunications systems is a plus.