Senior Electrical Engineer - High - Voltage Substation Design
5 - 7 years experience • Engineering Services
Sargent & Lundy provides comprehensive consulting, engineering, design, and analysis for electric power generation and power delivery projects worldwide. With a highly experienced staff solely dedicated to the energy business, we have the ability and know-how to take on the smallest tasks as well as the largest projects.
Our Power Delivery Services business unit currently has an opportunity for a Senior Electrical Engineer working in Substation Design work group in its Pomona, California office.
- This position offers you the opportunity to work in a project team environment with other engineers and designers involved in the detailed electrical design and project management of high voltage substation projects.
- As a Substation Electrical Engineer, you will take an active role in project conceptualization, work planning, and project execution.
- You will work on challenging assignments that include investigating, trouble-shooting, and solving a wide variety of electrical engineering issues.
- As an Electrical Engineer, you will prepare reports that present technical and project information in a clear and concise manner and meet client requirements and S&L formats.
- Develop your career via peer-learning through sharing of knowledge with other experienced engineers by way of S&L’s systems of process and associated “Communities of Practice.”
- In addition, you may have the opportunity to travel to client sites as needed.
Essential skills and experience:
- A BSEE degree from an ABET-accredited engineering program is required.
- 5 or more years experience in the design of Medium Voltage Power Systems.
- Ability to prioritize work and manage multiple projects under budget and time constraints.
- Experience tracking project information such as: schedules and expenditures against budgets, preparing status reports and client interface.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills.
- Experience in reviewing design drawings created by others.
- Proficiency with MS Office applications.
Valued but not required skills and experience:
- 3 or more years experience in the design of substations 138kV and above.
- Ability to prepare substation grounding calculations, direct stroke shielding calculations, battery & charger sizing calculations, etc.
- Physical layout and protection & controls experience.
- Ability to work with Designer to develop substation single line diagrams, relaying & metering diagrams, DC schematic diagrams, substation plan & sections, grounding plans, etc.
- Familiarity with ANSI/IEEE/NEMA standards as they relate to substation design. This includes the National Electrical Safety Code (ANSI - C2).
- PE license.
- AutoCAD experience.