Harris Group offers unique opportunities to grow professionally by working across multiple clients, projects, engineering disciplines and industries while living in some of the best places in the United States. Our size and the number of industries we are focused on allow you to be exposed to many different projects across a wide array of clients. Our team works diligently to ensure our clients’ projects are completed with the utmost professionalism, teamwork and quality design. If you are a proven design professional looking to take the next step in your career and are ready join an exciting team with project diversity and professional growth opportunities, then Harris Group is for you!
Senior Electrical Engineer
Harris Group is seeking a Senior Electrical Engineer in our Seattle, Washington, office. This is an opportunity for a Senior Electrical Engineer, with the ability to be self-motivated to see a project through from the developmental stage through detailed design and construction support, to perform assignments on a broad range of projects
The Senior Electrical Engineer works with project staff within the air & sea ports and aerospace sectors primarily in design of power distribution, lighting, and grounding systems for power generation, manufacturing, and industrial facilities.
The Senior Electrical Engineer may also work on projects within other industrial sectors, including life sciences, chemicals and process, energy and renewables, commercial development, and other business sectors.
The Senior Electrical Engineer will take a lead role in developing and coordinating electrical system design, including development of conceptual one-line diagrams and general arrangements, medium and low voltage power distribution, equipment specifications, and design calculations. This position will also conduct power system studies. The preferred candidate is a licensed Professional Electrical Engineer with seven or more years of experience in these areas.
This role will share expertise and knowledge while mentoring junior engineering and design staff. This position does not have direct supervisory responsibilities but offers the opportunity for growth in that direction.
Essential Job Functions
• Production and basic engineering tasks
• Drawing production, through the use of designers or drafters
• Prepare design calculations and documentation that support the project design basis
• Field information gathering
• Construction RFI review and development of responses
• Regular and reliable attendance
• Ability and willingness to travel to an off-site location and accept client site assignments when required
• Power Development – develop project scope definition, conceptual one-line diagrams and general arrangements, conduct power system studies, and develop capital cost estimates.
• Engineering Design – equipment specifications and procurement; medium and low voltage power distribution, lighting, grounding, balance of plant, and building management; engineering calculations and coordination with other engineering disciplines
• Develop and maintain design budgets/schedules, direct electrical designers, prepare reports and provide quality checks for small to medium sized projects
• Communication with Client – provide effective communication skills (meetings, presentations, etc.) with clients
• Construction Support – engineering change control; office/site field support and participate in factory acceptance tests, system commissioning and start-up
• Ability to pass Client badging and screening processes.
Knowledge & Skills
• Experience acting as Engineer of Record
• Capable of leading multiple projects simultaneously
• Ability to implement small to medium sized projects (new and retrofit) as a design engineer
• Proven experience as design engineer, preferably in the consulting arena
• Strong communication skills both written and verbal to effectively communicate internally and externally
• Experience with low and medium voltage power distribution
• Experience in load flow, short circuit, protective device coordination and arc flash power studies, and proficiency with software for power study analysis (EasyPower, SKM, EDSA, ETAP or similar)
• Experience with lighting calculations, and grounding design
• Experience in deriving protective relay settings including, generator, transformer and feeder protection.
• Experience with VFD’s; motor control; and security, fire and building management systems
• Experience with hazardous area classification and electrical design
• Knowledge of NEC, ANSI, and IEEE codes and standards, and state administrative and energy codes
• Ability to use a computer and computer software programs relevant to the engineering discipline, and Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
Educational & Work Experience
• BS degree from an accredited college or university.
• 7+ years of applicable facility or light industrial experience
• PE license