GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF POSITION
Franklin Electric is seeking a senior electrical engineer with excellent design skills to join our Grid Solutions engineering team in Saco, Maine. The team develops innovative monitoring solutions for the power utility industry to increase efficiency, determine predictive maintenance, and to meet environmental and industry regulations. The team works with modern tools and equipment from inside and outside the company and work both independently and in collaboration with each other and as members of cross-functional project teams.
The candidate will be responsible for all aspects of hardware design from proof of concept through production. The candidate will be leaned on as the Grid Solutions domain expert for hardware and should have experience working on embedded control systems for the power utility industry.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops mixed signal hardware from concept through production.
- Designs PCBs including system design, architecture, schematic entry, board layout, and assembly.
- Acts as the technical resource for hardware sensor design for low voltage through high voltage (100 Volts -- 230 kV) applications
- Performs and documents design verification testing for new designs including evaluating and recommending necessary test equipment, develops custom test fixtures as necessary
- Works closely with manufacturing engineers to identify test requirements and methodology
- Manages improvement projects for existing products and technical feasibility of new product concepts
- Provides qualifications for new/alternate vendors, components, and tooling.
- Defines critical-to-quality dimensions and features of components and products.
- Evaluates products that are returned from the field due to performance or quality issues
- Participates in cross-functional and cross-cultural team environment/projects.
- Performs other related duties as required or assigned.
- Manages large and complex development project work. Demonstrates a track record of successful projects.
- Proficient with EDA tools for schematic entry and board layout
- Power electronics background
- Working knowledge of regulatory requirements such as UL and IEC
- Uses standard electronic lab equipment for design and validation
- Works with simulation tools for modeling of circuit behavior
- Effectively communicates information and responds to questions in person-to-person and small group situations with customers, clients, the general public, and other employees of the organization.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering (required).
- Eight to ten years of related experience (required).
- Master's degree in a relevant field could substitute for years of experience.
- Required: EDA tool (Altium preferred), Mixed signal design, Power electronics
- Desired: Electrical utility domain knowledge, CAD, Cellular, Zigbee
- Basic: Microsoft Office