Under limited supervision, plans, designs, produces and maintains a variety of complex electric or electronic components, apparatus and/or circuitry for use in electronic devices. Determines conditions under which tests are to be conducted, conducts experimental tests and analyzes electronic equipment to establish production and operation controls.
Works directly with senior technical personnel and project managers in the planning and execution of technical activities on complex projects related to system and technical product development. Employs existing guidelines and instructions, guidance from higher-level engineers, experience, and independent judgment to plan and accomplish task objectives. Assignments may require the development of improvements to current techniques and procedures.
- Performs an assortment of complex engineering duties such as the planning of manufacturing and the installation, operation, and maintenance of electrical apparatus.
- Provides existing support to activities in the use of electrical devices and energy for commercial, domestic, and industrial use.
- Design and develop electronics and circuits.
- Perform product testing and create models and prototypes.
- Develop and document electronic schematics for products.
- Performs a variety of engineering work in designing, planning and overseeing manufacture, construction, installation, operation, and maintenance of electric or electronic components, equipment, systems, facilities, and machinery used in generation, transmission, distribution, and utilization of electrical energy for domestic, commercial, and industrial consumption.
- Works directly with engineers in other disciplines to augment production size and value.
- May provide work leadership and training to lower level professional and technical staff.
- May act as internal consultant providing technical guidance on most complex projects.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or a related scientific discipline plus 5 to 7 years relevant work experience. Master's degree preferred. Degree(s) must be in engineering, computer science, mathematics or a related discipline.
- In some cases, educational requirements may be adjusted or waived for more than 10 years of applicable work experience. Work experience may be adjusted based on education, or highly specialized knowledge or uniquely applicable experience for positions involving new technology or labor market shortages as reflected by market survey data.