Komatsu is an indispensable partner to the construction, mining, forestry, forklift, and industrial machinery markets, maximizing value for customers through innovative solutions. With a diverse line of products supported by our advanced IoT technologies, regional distribution channels, and a global service network, we tap into the power of data and technology to enhance safety and productivity while optimizing performance. Komatsu supports a myriad of markets, including housing, infrastructure, water, pipeline, minerals, automobile, aerospace, electronics and medical, through its many brands and subsidiaries, including Joy, P&H, Montabert, Modular Mining Systems, Hensley Industries, NTC, and Gigaphoton.
This position exists to provide North American Engineering & Development with expertise in the research, design and development mining truck drive systems including electric drive systems, and energy storage systems. This position will lead the electrical design of power systems, drive system and energy storage system and support the specification of major components.
- Department operating budget up to $3M
- Project budgets up to $40M including test vehicles.
- Support the development of product to achieve Mining truck annual sales up to $1.0B
- Coordinate project activity in multiple departments (Engineering, Test, Manufacturing, Sales, Product Support, Parts, and suppliers.)
- Multiple projects must be supported simultaneously at various stages of design and validation.
Key Job Responsibilities
- Develops the design of very complex drive systems that integrate hardware and software
- Develops very complex material specification, schematic preparation
- Develops complex system or component test instruction and perform some prototype test
- Develops and maintain state-of-the-art knowledge about mining truck drive systems and power systems. Understand competitive equipment features, performance, cost of operation and Total cost of ownership, etc. Make suggestions and motivate subordinates to conceive “Unrivaled Product Features.”.
- Provides expert technical advice and recommendations; may support multiple business units or division’s needs.
- BS/BA in electrical/computer engineering or advanced degree, where required, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Typically, 5-8 years of successful experience in related field and successful demonstration of key responsibilities and knowledge as presented above.
- Specific and demonstrable technical expertise on electric drive systems gained by designing or simulating drive systems and/or related components. In-depth knowledge of drive system theory, function and operation is essential.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills required to work within engineering as well as with other departments, vendors and subordinates and the ability to present to Senior Management.
- Experience in leading development projects and ability to take ownership of projects and drive them to completion with minimal supervision.
- Proficiency in software applications including Microsoft Excel, Word and Power Point, as a minimum.
- Ability and willingness to travel, including international travel up to 5% of working time.
- Physical Requirements: While performing the duties of this job, the associate is required to have ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit other locations; and the ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and manipulate (life, carry, move) light to medium weights of 1-10 pounds. Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard, operate equipment and read application information. The associate frequently is required to sit, reach with hands and arms, talk and hear.
Komatsu is an Equal Opportunity Workplace and an Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.