This position’s location may be located in East Moline, IL or Cary, NC, per the hiring manager's discretion. This may be dependent on the successful candidate's background, experience, and proficiency.
As a Senior Electric Drive Systems Engineer you will plan, coordinate, and carry out the product analysis, design, and/or testing activities for electric drive components and systems in Deere products worldwide. Electric drive system components include motors, generators, power inverters, safety protection devices, control systems, conductors, and connectors. In addition, you will:
- Serve as a technical lead for overall electric drive projects and execute formal component development and system development using Deere’s processes to deliver production components and systems into vehicle product programs while meeting budget, schedule, and quality metrics
- Work with the vehicle engineers to define and develop the engineering specifications of electric drive systems for product programs
- Deliver electric drive solutions across multiple Deere product lines, these solutions must meet vehicle requirements for performance, quality, reliability, and schedule.
- He/she will also work to achieve commercial goals, for example cost targets, for electric drive components and will strive to reduce development time and expense by leveraging knowledge, components, and suppliers across the different projects
- Develop appropriate system models representing the dynamics of the electric drive components, systems, vehicle interactions, and control algorithms
- Commission new systems and vehicles, including troubleshooting vehicle system problems, making recommendations on software parameters, and giving technical guidance
- Work with vehicle engineers to integrate the electric drive system into the vehicle. This involves designing electric drive system interfaces and specifying the related vehicle systems to meet the vehicle requirements.
- Lead product design project teams supporting component and system development projects. These activities include managing work plans, schedules, supporting documentation creation, and participating in activities such as FMEAs, design reviews, change management, and product validation.
*** U.S. visa sponsorship is NOT available for the role.
What Skills You Need
- 4+ years of product engineeringexperience
- 3+ years of product design experience
- 1+ years of experience leading technical projects
- Demonstrated ability to constructively work on product development cross-functional teams and to lead the product design function on core teams. (or equivalent industry product development experience)
- Demonstrated ability applying formal product design process with product design tools such as design reviews, FMEAs, DPARs, FGRs, Patent reviews, HDRS, DFMAs. (or equivalent industry product development experience)
- Understanding of electric drive components and systems with ability to design electric drive systems achieving vehicle program technical and financial goals in a production environment
- Demonstrated ability to constructively work with suppliers in the application and design of electric drive system components
- Demonstrated ability to constructively work with teams having diverse skills and from different cultural backgrounds
- Demonstrated ability to lead project teams meeting project performance, schedule, and budget goals
- Ability to travel up to 25%
What Makes You Stand Out
Other areas of experience or interest that will help us place you on the right team include:
- 1+ years of formal product development process experience relating to vehicle programs (or equivalent industry product development experience)
- 3+ years of technical experience relating to the design and development electric drive systems
- 2+ years of work experience in component development of electric machines, power electronics, or connectors and conductors
- Knowledge of product development process cross-funtionalareas broader than product design. Examples include safety and compliance, manufacturing, customer support, supply management, and marketing. (or equivalent industry product development experience)
- Experience mentoring engineers and interns
- Experience in project management
- Knowledge of vehicle systems interfacing with electric drives. Examples include diesel engines, gearboxes, vehicle controllers, hydraulic lubrication, and water-glycol cooling.
- Advanced technical degree in electric drive field
- Experience with agricultural vehicle engineering (examples include tractors, combines, planters/seeders)
Ideally, you will have a degree or equivalent work experience in the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in some type of Engineering with emphasis on power conversion, electric machines, power electronics, electric drive control, and/or similar technologies
- Advanced technical degree, Masters level or greater, is very highly desired unless individual has equivalent technical field and work experience in the electric drives field
What You'll Get
At John Deere, you are empowered to create a career that will take you to where you want to go. Here, you'll enjoy the freedom to explore new projects, the support to think outside the box and the advanced tools and technology that foster innovation and achievement. We offer comprehensive relocation and reward packages to help you get started on your new career path. Click here to find out more about our Total Rewards Package.
The information contained herein is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of individuals performing the job. The qualifications detailed in this job description are not considered the minimum requirements necessary to perform the job, but rather as guidelines.
John Deere is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among other things, race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Title: Senior Electric Drives Systems Engineer - 29071.