Senior Electric Drives Systems Engineer
8 - 10 years experience • Agriculture
As a Sr. Electric Drives Systems Engineer, you will plan, coordinate, and carry out the product analysis, design, and/or testing activities for electric drive components and systems in Deere products worldwide. Electric drive system components include motors, generators, power inverters, safety protection devices, control systems, conductors, and connectors. In addition, you will:
- Serve as a technical lead for overall electric drive projects and executes CCDP and EPDP to deliver production components and systems into vehicle EPDP programs while meeting budget, schedule, and quality metrics.
- Design - components and systems; will work with the platform engineers to define and develop the engineering specifications of electric drive systems for EPDP programs.
- Lead the design and selection of components and systems; will deliver electric drive solutions across multiple Deere platforms.
- Work to achieve commercial goals, for example cost targets, for electric drive components and will strive to reduce development time and expense by leveraging knowledge, components, and suppliers across the enterprise.
- Design - vehicle integration: A Senior Electric Drive Systems Engineer works with platform engineers to integrate the electric drive system into the vehicle. This involves designing electric drive system interfaces and specifying the related vehicle systems to meet the platform's vehicle requirements. Examples include geometric placement of electric drive components, gearbox interfaces and gear ratios, oil cooling circuits for electric machines, liquid cooling circuits for motors and drives, mechanical interfaces for inverters, electric machines, and wiring harness, and assembly, service, and safety aspects of electric drive system integration.
- During physical vehicle evaluation, Senior Electric Drives Systems Engineer will support the on-site build, commissioning, and testing of the vehicle integration aspect of the electric drive system.
- Modeling/Simulation: responsible for the development of appropriate system models representing the dynamics of the electric drive components, systems, vehicle interactions, and control algorithms. This includes the successful application of model based development in the design process.
- Support the development of system control algorithms to solve complex problems.
- Vehicle and system commissioning: Senior Electric Drives Systems Engineer assist platform engineers to commission new systems and vehicles, including troubleshooting vehicle system problems and giving technical guidance to product platforms.
- Project lead: Duties of the Senior Electric Drives Systems Engineer also include leading project teams supporting EPDP and CCDP programs. These activities include managing work flow, supporting documentation creation, and participating in activities such as FMEAs, design reviews, change management, and product validation.
- Project management activities will include budgeting, cost roll-ups, resource planning, project reviews with the platforms, metric tracking, and project reporting. This Senior Electric Drives Systems Engineer will focus on business aspects and will strive to execute the projects according to the platform TIC, NRE and capital goals. In addition to vehicle projects, this engineer may lead enterprise "Expert Teams" (cross-functional enterprise working groups).
- New project ideation: Electric drive technology can provide vehicles with differentiating value to customers, increased productivity, increased uptime, and reduced input costs. For this reason, electric drive systems are expected to be applied more frequently on our products in the future, replacing mechanical and hydraulic drive systems in some applications. This engineer will contribute to identifying potential electric drive applications with differentiating value to customers, working with vehicle platforms.
- Mentoring: This Senior Electric Drives Systems Engineer will mentor and coach less experienced engineers on the team. This includes technical and non-technical areas. EPDP Sub-Processes beyond Product Design: A Senior Electric Drive Systems Engineer will support program activities broader than product design. This includes electric drive safety practices and, more generally, program activities with safety and compliance, manufacturing, customer support, supply management, and marketing.
THIS POSITION CAN BE DONE IN EITHER CARY, NC OR FARGO, ND OR MOLINE, IL
US Visa sponsorship is NOT available for this position.
What Skills You Need
- High technical skill in either mechanical or electricalengineering.
- Ability to rapidly learnengineering skills from other disciplines.
- Demonstrated ability to constructively work with suppliers in the application and design of electric drive system components.
- Demonstrated ability to constructively work with teams having diverse skills and from different cultural backgrounds.
- Demonstrated ability to lead project teams meeting project performance, schedule, and budget goals.
- Expert user of simulation/modeling tools such as MATLAB/Simulink
- Skilled user of lab equipment such as dynamometers, oscilloscopes, current sensors and other tools for design and debug of electric drives.
- Excellent listening skills. Chooses appropriate communication vehicle for a given situation and uses it appropriately. Written communication requirements include generating product/system requirements documents of significant magnitude, creating technical reports suitable for long-term archiving, and creating presentations. Verbal communication requirements include making presentations and participating in meetings.
- Ability to pursue technical solutions in the conceptual realm, modeling realm, and prototype/production hardware realm.
- Ability to work with remote supervision.
- 7+ years experience in Product engineering
- 4+ years experience with Product design
- 2+ years experience leading technical projects
Other areas of experience or interest that will help us place you on the right team include:
- Technical experience relating to the design and development electric drive systems.
- Work experience in component development of electric machines, power electronics, connectors and conductors.
- Knowledge of EPDP sub-process areas broader than product design. Examples include safety and compliance, manufacturing, customer support, supply management, and marketing.
- Experience mentoring engineers, interns, EDPs .
- Knowledge of vehicle systems interfacing with electric drives. Examples include diesel engines, gearboxes, vehicle controllers, hydraulic lubrication, and water-glycol cooling.
- Advanced technical degree in electric drive field.
- Experience with vehicle platform engineering (examples include tractors, combines, crop care).
Education (or equivalent work experience)
Ideally the Senior Electric Drives Systems Engineer will have a Bachelor’s degree in electrical or mechanicalengineering and/or related discipline(s). Master’s degree in electrical or mechanical strongly desired.