Who We Are:
Hello! We’re starting up a new team here at 2K to - surprise! - make a video game. A first person shooter to be precise. We are a small, scrappy group with a ton of ambition AND the resources to see it realized. That’s pretty rare these days. Think of us like a well-funded startup but without all the gross tech culture trappings. This is an opportunity to join an incredible project on the ground floor.
We’re also hard at work creating a supportive and inclusive culture. Here’s what’s important to us:
Honesty. We do our best to tell it like it is. No information hoarding. No passive-aggressive manipulation. We care about keeping the lines of communication open and uncluttered.
Diversity. Games are better when they are created by people of diverse backgrounds and experiences. Accessibility matters to us – and this is not just about mechanics. All players should be able to relate to the experience we’re creating. And we can’t be more accessible if we’re not actively trying to increase representation on the team and in our game.
Collaboration. So this is on every job posting ever and then the experience is totally the opposite. We’re going to do our best to mean what we say. We’re not sticking people into discipline silos. You’ll probably be working in a pod – collaborating (see!) with people from diverse disciplines and backgrounds.
Opportunity. We believe that people good at what they do shouldn’t be promoted out of their discipline. They should be recognized and rewarded for their talents, not prevented from doing what they excel at. As a result, we’ve instituted a Principal track. You can continue being amazing at what you do without feeling like you’ve hit a dead end or missed out.
Your Well-Being. Work-life balance is important to us and assume it’s important to you. We’re going to do our best to avoid a lot of the traditional pitfalls that lead to crunch. We’re not into negative reinforcement or creating a culture of fear.
What We Need:
We are looking for an experienced network engineer to develop and maintain multiplayer systems from matchmaking to server side persistence.
What You Will Do:
You will be working to extend and customize elements of Unreal 4 for the needs of the title to ensure that our online element is creatively compelling and functionally robust. You will also work with designers to support the creative goals of the project as well as with the production team to assess technical risk and develop mitigation strategies to ensure a smooth production cycle.
Who We Think Will Be A Great Fit:
- At least 5+ years or 2 shipped AAA titles as a senior or principal network engineer
- Expertise with TCP/IP, UDP, and in depth knowledge of game networking models
- Experience in real time networking, including compensation for variable order and timing in data (interpolation/extrapolation, fast route optimizations)
- Expertise with the C/C++ programming language
- Familiarity with network functionality and design of Unreal
- Commitment to code quality, documentation and sound testing procedures
- Ability to learn and master new technologies and code
- Ability to work independently and efficiently under deadlines
- Previous experience on current gen consoles and open world games are a plus.