- Master's degree in Computer Science or a related field or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience with managing or leading a team of network engineers.
- Experience with fundamental networking technologies and protocols (ARP, Ethernet, DHCP, IPSec, GRE, WiFi standards, routing protocols, DNS, RADIUS, 802.1x).
About the job
- Experience with metrics, forecasting, planning, and developing organizational roadmaps and direction.
- Operational experience in high volume, high availability network technologies.
- Expertise in configuring enterprise-class routers, switches, firewalls and wireless controllers.
Google is proud to boast a network that provides service to millions of Internet users around the world. The Network Engineering team is responsible for operating that network reliably and at scale. As a member of the team, you have a direct impact on design and feature enhancements to keep our systems running smoothly. You also ensure that network operations are safe and efficient by monitoring network performance, coordinating planned maintenance, adjusting hardware components and responding to network connectivity issues. Google's complex network generates a constant stream of challenges which require you to continually be innovative with an evolving set of technologies. Keeping the network reliable ensures that our users stay connected with our suite of applications, products and services.
The Global Enterprise Network (GEN) Deployment Implementation team is responsible for high scale and predictable delivery of GEN's network services to Alphabet subsidiaries and internally driven innovations worldwide, with Googlers' experience being always core to all we do. We aspire to provide the best experience for Googlers with connectivity, mobility, security, privacy, and performance everywhere. At the same time, we support Partner Technical Infrastructure teams' goals and policies as well as serve requests.In this role, you will have an opportunity to leverage your networking expertise together with technical and people leadership skills to have a direct impact on keeping our internal users available and productive. A constant stream of unique challenges will require you to continually be innovative and will support your growth in the role.
Behind everything our users see online is the architecture built by the Technical Infrastructure team to keep it running. From developing and maintaining our data centers to building the next generation of Google platforms, we make Google's product portfolio possible. We're proud to be our engineers' engineers and love voiding warranties by taking things apart so we can rebuild them. We keep our networks up and running, ensuring our users have the best and fastest experience possible. Responsibilities
- Provide technical leadership for complex projects to increase stability of the network, enhance scalability, efficiency and quality of network deployments.
- Lead a team of regionally focused network engineers who are responsible for the successful network turn-up of Google offices, corporate data centers and new network technologies.
- Assist team in consulting with our customers' options available from our service catalog as well as provide feedback into Network Engineering, Automation and Operations organizations for future service enhancements to meet our customer's needs.
- Ensure delivery of multi-vendor networks across various platforms and technologies. Collaborate with other engineers and project managers to design, build and turnover successful deployments to operations.
- Handle the majority of escalation and problem resolution between different deployment teams to successfully meet due dates. Communicate progress and activities to internal stakeholders.