Public Consulting Group, Inc. (PCG) provides management consulting and technology services to help public sector education, health, human services, and other government clients achieve their performance goals and better serve populations in need. Founded in 1986 and headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts, PCG has more than 1,700 professionals in 48 offices around the US and in Montreal, UK and Poland. The firm draws on more than two decades of consulting to public sector clients in all 50 states and Canada to deliver best-practice solutions and measurable results to state and local public agencies, state-operated facilities, and private providers that do business with government agencies. PCG is committed to a diverse workforce which is a reflection of our clients and the people they serve. Our organizational culture attracts and rewards people who are results-oriented and interested in making an immediate impact on their community as well as their own career.
We are currently searching for a Senior Network Engineer to be in our Austin, TX. office, reporting to the Network Manager in PCG's Information Technologies Services (ITS) Group. As part of our global ITS organization, you will provide network support to the entire corporation. You will establish and maintain network connectivity among all offices to ensure that employees are able to access necessary corporate services, applications, and repositories hosted in the Data Center. Depending on the needs of the ITS Group, you may also be asked to provide support as Tier 3 to the IT Help Desk. Provide network monitoring and support functions. You will work with our corporate office and other ITS groups to monitor and maintain a high level of network functionality. Your goal will be to ensure that the network is available at all times outside of scheduled maintenance windows. You may need to diagnose different types of problems, from basic accessibility issues to more complicated networking issues, such as ensuring that data traffic is fully functional. Basic knowledge of Cisco systems and VoIP will be important skills, along with the ability to intuitively analyze and query log files. Information you provide to the ITS group and Help Desk will be used to resolve issues and improve the stability of the network going forward. Act as a liaison to consultants, employees, and others. You will work with consultants, project managers, developers, architects, and IT service providers to upgrade the physical and virtual infrastructure to support new applications in a redundant, fault-tolerant, and cost-effective manner.
- Manage PCG’s converged communications infrastructure through day to day hands-on tasks
- Maintain office networks, including diagnostic/troubleshooting any network related issues using automatic and manual monitoring
- Prioritize and escalate issues to PCG level 2 and 3 support as defined in governing procedures
- Perform periodic architecture reviews and updates
- Document all network and voice configurations
- Follow best practice ITIL process, seeking continuous improvement of systems and processes. Act proactively to identify areas for improvement
- Travel up to 25% related to PCG office deployments, moves and expansions
- Record and track support incidents and requests. Escalate if necessary, and work with appropriate stakeholder until ticket is resolved. Ensure that all decisions and actions taken, through to final resolution have been captured
- Test fixes to ensure that problems have been adequately resolved.
- Access software updates, knowledge bases, and FAQ resources on the Internet to aid in problem resolution
- Provide training to department staff members as office team grows.
- Review IT vendor's proposals and invoices to ensure that contracted services are being delivered and managed in the most cost-effective manner possible.
- Research and recommend software, hardware, and tools to meet business objectives (improve operational efficiencies, reduce costs, and provide high levels of service availability)
- Work off-hours or be on-call if required by management.
- A B.S Degree
- 5 years of related work experience
- IP Networking (including all ports and protocols)
- EthernetNetwork Services
- Routing protocols (e.g. RIP, OSPF, BGP)
- Network Performance Tools (e.g. OpNet)
- Protocol Analysis for all layers (e.g. Wireshark, Netscout)
- OSI Reference Model
- Quality of Service, Class of Service functionality and support
- NetworkSecurity (e.g. WPA-2, 802.1x)
- Firewall Technology (e.g. Checkpoint, Fortigate, ASA, or others)
- Ability to learn new technologies without formal training
- VoIP (e.g. ShoreTel, Cisco, Avaya, etc)
- Understanding of Telecom Infrastructure (e.g. DS-0, DS-1, DS-3, POTS, TDM)
- Wireless Networking (802.11a, b, g, and n technologies)
- Cisco Networking (IOS)
- Highly self-motivated and directed with a keen attention to detail
- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong documentation skills
- Fluency in English, both spoken and written
- Strong proficiency using and administering network and application monitoring
Additional Desired Skills
- MPLS (Multiple Protocol Label Switching) networks
- ShoreTel Voice over IP telephone systems
- Syntellect/Apropos Call Center systems
- HP Networking
- Riverbed (Steelhead product) WAN Optimization systems
- Sitting for extended periods of time
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, power tools, and other computer components
- Lifting and transporting of moderately heavy objects, such as computers and peripherals.