This position is responsible for the application engineering of telecommunications outside plant and transport equipment in a local serving exchange environment. Subject matter expert of and for all technical aspects of outside plant facilities and transport equipment associated work such as cable sizing, cable counts, cable records, permitting for right of ways and easements, fiber optic systems (SONET and ASYNC), DACS, digital loop carriers (DLC), pair gain devices (analog and digital) and XDSL equipment. This position works as a team member with Network Planning, Central Office, and Operations to support the growth, replacements and upgrade of telecommunications plant facilities. This person provides frontline project management for all construction activities associated with outside plant and transmission activities. This position also supports sales, marketing, operations and regulatory as needed. This position can be located in Sylva NC or Myrtle Beach SC.
Specific requirements of the position include:
- Frontline project management for construction activities
- Engineering design for outside plant and assist ISP Engineering for transmission projects
- Proactive review of outside plant and transport facilities to determine necessary upgrades and enhancements. Reviews to include cable fill, port and bandwidth review of DSLAMs/Routers and switches.
- Knowledge of Broadband expansion & augmentation design.
- Knowledge & understanding of IOF, & Network planning & design
- Communicate with state, county, city and national indices to gain information on planned projects that involve growth and changes
- Coordinate with all utilities for project design and construction to utilize joint trench
- Communicate with all peers and departments to insure proper project planning
- Maintain accurate cable and transport records and updates
- Attend pre construction meetings for project designs
- Apply for all items of a project including but are not limited to permits, easements, as required (State, Federal, DNR, City, County, Townships Railroad)
- Maintain and investigate right of ways and easements for releases
- Attend weekly construction meetings
- Prepare project justifications for approvals including EWOP documents.
- Prepare loop studies as needed
- Prepare cost estimates for BDT’s
- Respond to DOR’s as needed
- Update records according to As-Builts
- Land base into Cad-Tel system (FROGS)
- Code and approve contractor invoices
- Assist in annual budget design
- All other activities with respect to the needs of the business
- Must have detailed knowledge of outside plant and transport activities. Knowledge of engineering tools to include the following, Cad-Tel, M6, Adobe, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Power point, Varasset, Visio, email and other vendor software. Excellent organizational skills, communications skills (written and verbal) and customer relations will be utilized in achieving desired results and are critical to the position. Outside plant construction and transmission project management experience and inventory management experience. Experience in right of way, private easement and permitting, with local, state, and federal entities. Must also be able to manage multiple projects in various stages of activity. Must have an appreciation and understanding of the demand for increased broadband services and all aspects of advancements towards data and voice convergence. Good understanding of CAF (Connect America Funding).
- B.S. in Engineering or equivalent, or a minimum of 5 to 7 years’ experience related to outside plant and transport facilities, preferable in a local exchange environment. Must be able to demonstrate knowledge with heavy emphasis on outside plant both aerial & buried with a good understanding of transport design, cable count layout, capacities and equipment requirements. Must have a solid knowledge of all aspects of Broadband design, IOF & Network Planning design. Must be able to participate and lead project teams to achieve team objectives and goals. Strong interpersonal skills are very important in discussions and meetings with Engineering team, regional managers, vendors, local supervisors and technicians.