Senior Network Design Engineer
Washington Technology Solutions (WaTech) operates the state's core technologyinfrastructure, the central network and data center, and supports Enterprise applications. WaTech also houses the State Office of the Chief Information Officer and the office of Cyber Security. Our customers include state agencies, county, city, tribal governments, and non-profits. WaTech enables public agencies to better serve the citizens of Washington through technology.
A little about Network Services Division:
Network Services Division (NSD) is simply an awesome place to work. NSD strives to be proactive and staying ahead of our customers in learning, researching, & delivering new technological solutions that resolve business problems. The technical professionals in NSD work as a cohesive & close-nit family so team players are highly encouraged to consider this tremendous & rewarding opportunity.
As Washington State's IT service provider, NSD delivers reliable, cost-effective, & innovative networking solutions to state agencies, municipalities, and authorized consumers. NSD securely interconnects state agencies by maintaining 135+ routing tables & 130+ Virtual Domains (VDOMs) while maintaining 4000+ routes enabling 800+ sites to communicate & share information with each other; we are the state's Wide Area Network (WAN) provider & Internet Service Provider (ISP).
Network Planning and Design (P&D) is WaTech's leader in innovative research, development, design, and strategic integration of carrier-class networkinfrastructure + service provider architecture + advanced technology; directly supporting 50k+ state users, state agency intercommunication, 45k+ telephony customers, data center colocation, and Enterprise resources across multiple data centers.
What would you be doing in this role?
This position serves as the highest technical expert in network design & technology integration at an Enterprise & Service Provider level; this is not an operations positions, this is a design position in which Network Operations executes the design work that this position delivers.
- Serve as a technical expert of WaTech's data center switching infrastructure, WAN interconnectivity, core routing, & cloud networking.
- As the NetworkEngineering Lead, perform quality assurance & quality control of NetworkEngineering processes, network configuration scripts, & documentation.
- Develop, validate, & present low-level (detailed) Architecture & Design solutions to produce detailed engineering specifications with recommended design & technologies.
- Serve as technical POC on customer engagements, consultations, & internal projects; liaise with state agencies, vendors, & other service providers in technology strategy.
- This position will customize network-engineering processes, practices, and deliverables to meet the ever-changing demand of delivering networking solutions to the state of Washington. Therefore, motivated and geeky network engineers should apply.
Here is what we are looking for in a fully qualified candidate:
1. Seven+ (7) years supporting & designing WAN/LANinfrastructure connectivity, Cisco architecture, & data center networking for a medium to large organization.
2. Bachelor of Science degree in NetworkEngineering, Information Systems, Computer Science, Information Technology, or an equivalent technical discipline from an accredited college or university. Note: Additional years of experience may substitute for the Bachelor's degree on a year-by-year basis.
4. Superior communication (written & verbal) customer service experience in developing, formatting, customizing, and presenting business cases, design proposals, & architectural changes to Executive Leadership, Service Owners, & technical staff effectively tailoring communication to desired audience.