The Senior Director, WRD Technology Strategy & Innovation will be independently responsible for engaging senior R&D executives and key scientific stakeholders to conduct the annual update to the R&D Technology Strategy, in addition to leading several focused, deep-dive technology strategy efforts where urgent action is required; and will be expected to present outcomes to the senior R&D Leadership Team. The Senior Director will be responsible to propose, implement and continuously improve the process that ensures the conformity, quality, consistency and timeliness of R&D Technologyinvestment proposals, and that enables the collection of proposals to be compared based both on strategic impact and on financial / ROI potential. The Senior Director will also be responsible for the further development and implementation of an externally enabled Target Sciences scientific technology strategy, in alignment with the R&D Target Innovation vision, Research Unit disease-area strategies, and the developing Target Sciences technology and capability landscape. In this capacity, the ideal candidate will also lead external search and evaluation efforts to further advance the implementation of an externally enabled Target Sciences scientific technology strategy.
The ideal candidate will further possess a strong scientific background in pharma R&D, the business acumen and perspective of a strategy consultant, and the innovative spirit and business development skills of an entrepreneur. This candidate will have demonstrated success in leading highly visible, complex strategy projects that are expected to deliver clear, actionable recommendations to senior R&D management; an ability to rapidly grasp diverse, complex thoughts and ideas, and to analytically synthesize that input into key insights, recommendations, and actions; a broad understanding of the different Pfizer business functions, in particular R&D and Corporate Strategy, and an ability to communicate effectively across the breadth of an enterprise, and at any level.
- Lead the annual R&D Technology Strategy refresh in partnership with key R&D and Business Unit stakeholders, and in consultation with external KOLs. Communicate the strategy to senior R&D leadership.
- Manage and continuously improve the process that ensures R&D annual investment proposals follow R&D Leadership Team guidelines, align with the R&D technology strategy, are assessed for financial / ROI potential, and for those approved, achieve the expected impact / ROI.
- Lead 1-2 focused, deep-dive technology strategy projects per year with an emphasis on Science and Technology areas where R&D needs to take some action. In partnership with key R&D stakeholder organizations and committees, e.g., the WRD Data Strategy Committee, translate these strategy projects into opportunities for cross-R&D investment and project proposals that advance internal or external R&D capabilities.
- Lead the further development and implementation of an externally enabled Target Sciences scientific technology strategy, in alignment with the R&D Target Innovation vision, Research Unit disease-area strategies, and the developing Target Sciences technology and capability landscape. To advance implementation, lead the translation of this strategy into opportunities for cross-R&D and departmental investment proposals, and work with the Head of Operational Strategy & Portfolio to develop a Target Sciences functional plan that aligns with this strategy and maximally leverages such investment proposals.
- Lead external search and evaluation efforts that further advance the implementation of an externally enabled Target Sciences & Technologies scientific technology strategy, with a particular focus on data science/AI, genetics, and functional genomics. Expected time commitment is 25-50%.
Education and Training
- Advanced degree in a pharma R&D relevant topic required – Ph.D, PharmD. or M.D. / Ph.D. in the Life Sciences with a strong publication record and post-doctoral experiencepreferred; MBA a plus.
- Demonstrated business knowledge and relevant experience to advance external collaborations & partnerships in the core areas of genetics, functional genomics, epidemiology, computational biology or biomedicine, or closely related fields with 12+ years of relevant pharma R&D or biotech experience.
- Strong entrepreneurial drive and track record. Demonstrated learning agility and ability to succeed in ambiguous or rapidly evolving situations, and in a constantly changing environment. Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and tight timelines, and with a sense of urgency.
- Demonstrated ability to consistently “close” to successful outcomes on complex projects and tasks that have visibility to senior management. Must be broadly creative, seek innovative solutions, and exhibit crisp and clear decision making.
- Good understanding of business development principles required. Experience with search and evaluation, due diligence, relationship and collaboration building, and alliance management highly preferred.
- Demonstrated executive presence that effectively engages the diverse array of senior R&D stakeholders in an evolving thought partnership. Strong familiarity with the Pfizer or other big pharma organization, particularly R&D/Business Units/Corporate Strategy .
- Demonstrated independent leadership of cross-R&D strategic and/or technology projects, including (1) identification and framing of core issues, (2) effective interviewing of diverse stakeholders, (3) analytical synthesis of broad input to address the core issues, and (4) effective stakeholder management and presentation skills to senior R&D executives.
- Demonstrated success in leading diverse, multi-disciplinary teams, and in coaching and mentoring junior team members and colleagues.
- Strong written and oral communication skills; and excellent presentation skills.
- Strong qualitative and quantitative analytical skills to prioritize issues, generate critical insights and formulate strategic recommendations.
- Demonstrated broad knowledge in the pharma and biotech industries, a good awareness of on-going trends for science and technology, and an in-depth understanding of the processes and technologies that support drug discovery and development.