Are you passionate about leading creative design in a digital transformation? Are you driven to shape and create a game changing digital experience for customers? Do you get energy developing a high performing user experience team? If this resonates and you get excited about what the latest technologies can bring to our customers, this is the right opportunity for you!
The Standard is looking for an energetic and driven individual with serious leadership chops to help drive our digital transformation as the senior director of User Experience. Our team is Portland-based and focused on the digital transformation of our businesses.
You will be creating and leading a team of designers and engineers, charged with a mission of redefining the digital experiences and services for customers of The Standard. This team partners with teams in Corporate Marketing, Customer Experience (CX) and Agile to understand the priorities and desires of our customers. The User Experience team then translates those priorities and desires into digital experiences through design research, customer journey mapping, content development, information and technical architecture, and design patterns. The leader of this team also acts as the product owner for The Standard’s primary portal, the primary engagement site for its customers.
What You’ll Do
You will demonstrate, mentor and coach on the behavioral mindsets that are:
- Driven to Win as a Team: Constantly pursing exceptional results that help us win in the market
- Respect for Teammates: Encourage and empower diverse identities, backgrounds, talent and perspectives
- Collaboration: Works collaboratively with all team members across the IT, integrate perspectives and encourage other’s contributions
- Adaptable: Quickly adapts to customer feedback by adjusting team priorities to fit new circumstances
In addition, you will
- Define the mission, strategy, team composition as well as build and lead a diverse team of designers, engineers and architects.
- Serve as the champion for end-to-end user experience across the company and sponsor UX education and awareness.
- Define and deliver cross channel UX strategy (Omni Channel).
- Work closely with Corporate Marketing and CX teams to create a product and experience vision and strategy that supports customer’s needs and delivers on the value of the brand and business goals.
- Oversee the information architecture, design, user experiences and user interfaces using a human-centric approach to design, which includes conducting customer interviews, heuristic analysis and usability testing, comprehensive analysis, primary and secondary market research, and other requirements gathering activities.
- Oversee and guide rapid, iterative conceptual designs for The Standard’s products and portal experiences.
- Act as the product owner for The Standard’s primary portal site, setting overall direction for its specific architecture and technical design.
- Develop and maintain technical roadmaps supporting The Standard’s digital services.
- Develop and continuously improve the design system and processes that enables digital/delivery teams to go from persona to product.
- Effectively manage the team’s productivity, quality, timeliness and morale aligned with the organizations Lean goals.
- Responsible for standard.com content and online marketing material.
Who We Want
We’re after a respected leader who can speak in the language of the business and coach highly technical teams. A qualified candidate will have:
- A champion mindset for a customer-oriented design across a variety of disciplines including CX, Lean and technology.
- Strong leadership skills such as mentoring, coaching and collaboration that can be a resource a team can look up to and who is willing to learn.
- Amazing creative skills with the ability to take abstract concepts and ideas, distill them down, and make them real. You want to understand not only why something needs to be done, but how you can help your team get there.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to switch contexts between highly creative and technical topics quickly and easily.
- The ability and desire to continue learning new things. You have an undergrad degree in engineering or creative design or have a combination of other education and equivalent work.
- Knowledge of technologies used in our platforms, which include Angular, Google Analytics, Drupal, Design, Apache Cordova, System Platforms and Omni Channel technologies.
- Lots of experience working in highly iterative planning and delivery processes across multiple geographies. You understand the principles of them, so you can effectively coach the team.
Who We Really Want
If you can check all the boxes above and still want to stand out from the crowd, our ideal candidate will also have:
- Energetic and enthusiastic customer-oriented leadership that can demonstrate how a user experience drives a digital transformation.
- A drive to win through your teams and experience navigating change to achieve lofty goals.
- An ability thrive when you run into challenges and can navigate ambiguity, enabling your teams to learn, adapt and innovate.
- Experience walking-the-walk and a strong creative design and engineering background that can help mentor senior architects.
- A network in the design community. You’ve been to the meet-ups and participate in one or more of the many professional forums.
- A keen sense for organization and process problem solving — you can sniff out issues and have a clear view of cause-and-effect that allows you to coach your teams.