Summary of Major Responsibilities
We are looking for a leader to take on the dynamic and robust function of Employee Benefits as the Senior Director, Total Rewards. This leader will be responsible for championing the strategy to offer valuable benefits to our employees in light of the evolution of the employee benefits universe. We believe that by offering meaningful benefits to our employees (and their families), we will continue to attract and retain the most engaged, productive and inspired team to help us achieve our mission.
The Senior Director of Employee Benefits will play an instrumental role in driving meaning and value from our comprehensive benefits platform and leave of absence management. The leader will be responsible for evaluating and recommending benefits to meet the need of our diverse team in the areas of medical insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, life insurance, accidental death & dismemberment insurance, disability insurance, flexible spending, health savings accounts, the employee assistance program, paid time off, paid holidays, bereavement leave, volunteer time off, parental leave, fitness benefits, transportation benefits, matching gifts programs, tuition reimbursement benefits and more. This leader will continue to build upon the current team and resources (partnerships, tools, technology, etc.) to ensure that we uphold our service and quality promise to the team through this function.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead a highly-engaged employee benefits team for Exact Sciences to deliver the benefits strategy and support to the business with specific focus on optimizing meaning, value and effectiveness of the benefits for employees and their families.
- Serve as a strategic partner to leaders and HR peers by understanding business needs and employee benefit market dynamics to align and develop the benefits strategy and frame strategic choices.
- Partner with leadership to create and support an inclusive culture focused on open communication, world class service, accountability, diversity, development and integrity.
- Drive a data-driven approach for decisions related to benefit design, policies and programs and other related initiatives. Conduct plan design and impact analyses to support improved decision making. Effectively balance cost and value/impact as weighting mechanisms for strategic decisions.
- Act as a change agent by diagnosing needs of the organization as it relates to benefits (offerings, processes, systems, resources) and operationalizing change through collaboration, clear communication & effective project management.
- Lead a direct team of resources to support the growing benefits platform and administration/support while partnering with cross-functional stakeholders (i.e. payroll team, HR operations team, shared services team, etc.) to ensure effective deployment and service of employee benefits. Ensure that appropriate training and/or development opportunities are identified and provided to employees to grow personal, career and organizational development capabilities.
- Oversee risk management, governance and compliance for all benefit plans including appropriate filings and communications.
- Oversee the leave of absence management function and maintain compliance with all applicable laws and procedures.
- Enhance current and cultivate new relationships with potential benefit partners such as insurance brokers, administrators and community resource leaders.
- Be a partner in the development of Exact Sciences strategic programs (such as wellness, community service, onsite amenities, etc.), applying functional knowledge to influence key decisions and implement associated HR components.
- Bachelor’s degree in a business major, Human Resources preferred; or an HR certification (PHR, etc.) with at least four years of relevant experience.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of experience in the Human Resources function, including at least five (5) years in benefits or total rewards management with progressively increasing responsibility/ownership.
- Demonstrated experience leading teams (direct & indirect reports) with demonstrated effectiveness in coaching, performance management and engagement.
- Demonstrated depth of knowledge on global regulatory environment and applicable laws affecting benefit plans, administration and compliance (federal, state & local) & compliance expectations related to benefit plans and policies.
- Strong interpersonal skills; demonstrated ability to build relationships and effectively connect with others; approachable & viewed as a responsive resource for employees and leaders.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written. Strong presentation skills with demonstrated ability to connect with and engage audiences of differing levels (front-line supervisors, executives, etc.).
- Strong project management and organization skills with demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks/projects simultaneously.
- Strong business acumen; including comfort with accountability to business metrics, ability to make sense out of complexity and ability to understand business financials and use to think strategically and take appropriate actions.
- Demonstrated ability to provide effective guidance and coaching in a variety of situations (developmental, disciplinary, etc.).
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office suite (MS Word, Power Point & Excel).
- Preferred experience managing self-funded medical plan(s) and/or experience working within a healthcare insurance function.
- Successful completion of specific coursework in benefit plan compliance preferred.
- Successful completion of coaching certification or coursework preferred.
- Master’s degree (MBA or MLR, MHR, etc.) preferred.