The Senior Director is an experienced leader within a Therapeutic Area Center of Excellence, and is expected to leverage that experience to enable a team to grow a portfolio of innovative and profitable business, and/or oversee the design of effective and differentiated strategies for operational delivery with clients and internal experts and/or oversee the portfolio of clinical studies being conducted in a therapeutic area within the CDCS, Phase II-IV business. As such the Senior Director is expected to establish and grow client relationships, be seen as an industry leader, be an effective line manager, and engage as a leader and subject matter expert in relevant process improvement and change management activities.
Essential Job Duties:
- Has a good understanding of the industry, market and our clients and presents Covance’s medical and scientific capabilities to clients. Leads growth within the Therapeutic Area; designs and develops winning trial solutions that result in a growing, profitable portfolio of business in the TA
- Owns client expectations and satisfaction; identifies, develops and fosters new and existing client relationships at senior operational levels with clients, KOLs, TA-specific networks, Vendor Partners and guides teams in delivering to establish/maintain effective client relationships
- Leads high quality end-to-end business development strategies, including RFI/RFP response, proposal development, bid defense preparation and presentations
- Markets and supports Covance’s capability, visibility and position through publications, investigator networks, presentations at conferences, meetings and TA specific-webinars
- Engages with Covance’s leadership to help drive and implement TA-specific initiatives, including cross TA and functional integrated opportunities, to grow and expand the Therapeutic Area.
- Helps to define and implement the TA vision and strategy; translates this into key initiatives and priorities; develops and delivers against TA operating plans & project plans; able to achieve results in a global, virtual and complex environment; tracks and measures progress.
- Partners with peers ensuring consistency (quality, standards, policies, processes and practices) across the portfolio in the TA and across TAs
- Leads by Example in building and sustaining a scalable organization; creates a forward looking culture of ownership and accountability; delegates for development and growth; identifies and sets up high performers for success; is self-aware and a learner.
- Effectively leads in a global, complex environment; sets clear expectations; coaches and mentors for success; consistently communicates and connects; fosters a continuous learning environment
- Attracts, selects, on-boards, develops and retains high performing talent; strengthens and deepens talent bench and succession;
Operational Leadership and Financial Acumen
- Leads portfolio growth and delivery, encompassing consistent quality, assuring both patient safety, GCP compliance and maintains investigator relations
- Ensures allocated resources are aligned with current and projected work in terms of capability, quantity, timing, efficiency
- Part ownership of the global P&L for the TA (sales targets, revenue, margin, budget, forecasting, write-offs, fixed-price gains, expense management, resources etc.)
Subject Matter Expertise
- Contributes to the TA commercial, operational, medical and scientific leadership and direction, leveraging expertise from other functions as required
- Ensures development and delivery of TA & program-specific training is delivered appropriately
- Participates in training opportunities to advance knowledge of TA, drug development, and GCP by attending scientific conferences and maintain current literature review.
Bachelor’s degree required.
Advance degree, PhD and/or MBA preferred
- 10 or more years of drug development and clinical research experience (pharmaceutical, biotech or CRO), preferably including 3 or more years leading PII-PIV clinical trials in respective Therapeutic Area
- 2 or more years global leadership experience, ideally in a complex, virtual and matrix environment leading large multi-functional teams
- Broader level client relationships and business development experience
- Demonstrated vision, strategy and growth experience
- Financial acumen (P&L, budget, forecast, resources etc.)
Job Number 2018-19862