The Director/Sr. Director, Strategy and Business Development will be responsible for owning and evolving the overarching strategy for Sensata. Additionally, this individual will own and drive multiple new growth initiatives from the corporate office, and work with the global business unit leaders to drive success on strategic initiatives within the business. The core areas of responsibility include outlining and driving our investments in growth aligned to corporate initiatives in electrification, connected vehicles, and internet of things, and other strategic initiatives aligned to Sensata corporate and business unit strategy. Additionally, this individual will own and drive the strategy around core business optimization to free up resources for additional growth investments.
While all strategies evolve, Sensata is making significant investments in trends that are shaping a cleaner, more efficient, and connected world. This Corporate Strategy leader will be responsible for selecting and leading our organization towards our next major investments in secular growth trends like Electrified Mobility, Clean Energy, Smart & Connected Fleets, Logistics, Industrial IoT, and Autonomy. Additionally, this individual will support and shape our organization towards delivering value through data insights, mission critical components and systems, and software.
- Growth Strategy: Identify and develop strategic initiatives that will enable long term growth. Identify and drive large scale, strategic opportunities for Sensata, both domestically and internationally, and develop actionable plan to execute on these opportunities. The Director will serve as a Project Lead for multiple strategic initiatives, and will be expected to thoroughly detail all problems, organize cross-functional teams, and propose and manage timely analyses with predetermined milestones. Ultimately, the Director will establish well supported solutions with specific recommendations that will enable the executive management team to make critical go/no go decisions. The Directory will own and drive these strategic initiatives through concept, management alignment, and execution.
- Opportunity Identification and Execution: Develop strategic insights and identify new growth areas for Sensata aligned with the core megatrends driving the Sensata’s end markets. Manage the pipeline of new growth opportunities aligned with these trends and markets, both with organic investments and through M&A/Partnerships. Develop and drive these opportunities from identification and business case development through early stage execution. Transition and manage these opportunities through hand-off to incubation teams tasked with scaling opportunities within the business.
- M&A: Identify inorganic growth opportunities for Sensata
- Landscape Analysis - conduct primary commercial diligence for new markets/white space.
- Pipeline Development - Develop deal thesis, drive commercial diligence work plan, lead development of post-closing integration plans.
- Strategic Due Diligence.
- Deal Execution - Move targets through stage gate process to closure.
- PMI – Lead post-merger integration planning after successful acquisitions.
The Director/Sr. Director, Global Strategy will interface directly and regularly with the most senior executives in the organization, including the C-Suite and Board of Directors as we refine our strategy, execute on opportunities, and/or deals come through.
Responsibilities will include developing strategies, building business cases, forecasting new business opportunities, and sustaining existing business programs in support of growth. Leads and supports business plans, product lifecycle management and product positioning in the marketplace to increase opportunity space and addressable market. Responsible for the development of specific initiatives across our strategic planning cycle, working across the business with inputs from Marketing, Engineering and Sales.
Interfaces with all functions to develop organic and inorganic plans across existing products and new applications. Maintains relationships and drives alignment across diverse stakeholders, from engineering leaders, to business unit leaders, and the senior leadership team. This individual must be comfortable navigating and regularly interacting with senior leaders, and will often be responsible for strategic initiatives with regular visibility from the C-Suite and the Board of Directors.
The ideal candidate would progress quickly (12-24 months) into a strategy and business development leadership role for one of our global businesses or lead corporate strategy more broadly across the organization. This is a strong foundational role to develop our future leaders.
- Consulting Experience: 2-4+ years of consulting with a top-tier firm, with experience managing engagements, with focus on growth strategy projects and strategic due diligence
- Analytical Rigor: the ability to run highly complicated quantitative and financial analysis in a defect-free manner.
- Structured and Logical Thinking: the ability to dissect a problem in a structured approach and quickly form a hypothesis against which to run test analysis.
- Powerful Communication: the ability to communicate persuasively, both verbally and on paper.
- Education: an undergraduate degree in electrical, mechanical, aerospace, or similar engineering discipline, and an MBA (or advanced degree) from a top school/program.
- Ability to lead, influence, coach, and develop cross-functional team members both within and outside of direct line reporting relationship
- Experience in engineering or operational or strategy role at an automotive, aerospace, or industrial company.
- Holds self and others accountable to achieving goals and standards
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment to handle multiple competing tasks and demands
- Strong communication skills; oral, written and presentation
- Strong organization, planning and time management skills to achieve results
- Strong personal and professional ethical values and integrity
- Proficient in Microsoft Office programs (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel)
- Strong interpersonal & collaboration skills to work effectively with all levels of the organization including both internal and external stakeholders
The candidate selected for this position will be a creative, out-of-the-box thinker who is intellectually curious with a demonstrated interest in learning. This person will also need to be a self-motivated, high-energy individual who can easily function in a high demand, performance-driven environment. He/she must be accustomed to working on multiple tasks in parallel. This professional must demonstrate strong leadership skills, best demonstrated by the individual’s ability to gain credibility with team members and senior management.
The successful candidate will:
- Be modest in nature, recognizing the accomplishments of the team before the individual
- Be highly motivated and possess vision and enthusiasm
- Understand how to deliver on short time frames and be committed to meeting deadlines
- Communicate in an open and honest way that quickly builds trust and respect
- Possess an entrepreneurial spirit
- Comfortable developing and giving presentations to senior individuals both inside and outside the company
- Contribute to building a more diverse and inclusive Sensata
- Collaborating at Sensata means working with some of the world’s most talented people in an enriching environment that is constantly pushing towards the next best thing.
- Employees work across functions, countries and cultures gaining new perspectives through mutual respect and open communication.
- As OneSensata, we are working together to make things work together