As the Senior Director of Proposal Development and Production you are a key leader that will exercise full responsibility for the design, development, production, review, compliance, and delivery of proposals in response to Requests for Proposal (RFP) and/or Task Order (TO) data received from prospective customers. You will work within the Business Development (BD) organization and collaborate with Capture and Business Unit (BU) professionals to promote the creation of winning proposals.
- Translates experience and insights into aggressive proposal strategies, aligning proposals with important requirements from a full range of critical stakeholders while strategically positioning competitively differentiated services and products against traditional and nontraditional competitors.
- Demonstrate performance and ownership in the development of sophisticated management, technical, and/or proposals in the $5M to $5B range for federal and/or commercial customers. Mentor a staff ranging from senior proposal managers and proposal assistants to technical writers and production staff.
- Provide direct and disciplined leadership of the business development life cycle and responsible for ensuring industry best practices in proposal compliance and development.
- Develop and deploy successful courses of action regarding proposal execution, competitive positioning, risk tolerance, and optimal bid strategy.
Essential Job Functions: (not limited to duties as described – performs related duties as requested)
- Consult with and provide BD and proposal design and development advice to executive leadership.
- Represent the company as its senior proposal representative in promoting and maintaining positive relationships with the government, teammates, subcontractor consultants, and internal customers.
- Cultivate and mentor Proposal Development (PD) employees to high levels of excellence.
- Establish meaningful and measurable performance goals to track the Proposal and Production team’s performance. Increase the percentage of proposal wins to total proposals created.
- Ensure visibility, quality, and timeliness of proposal Gate review decisions as part of the BD life cycle and internal BD process.
- Develop processes, frameworks, and best practices for proposal design and development tactics.
- Ensure all proposals, including price narratives, are compliant IAW RFP requirements.
- Develop and manage to PD budget based on personnel salaries, software, training, and equipment requirements. Ensure realistic proposal budgets are prepared for all Gate 3 approved proposal pursuits. Monitor cost and schedule progress by reviewing reports.
- Develop and optimize Business Support Function (BSF) participation in the proposal development process.
- Provide training and mentoring to both internal staff and BSF personnel congruent with BD process guide goals and objectives to further influence and increase productivity of Proposal Development.
- Provide strategic inputs and management of PD to maximize coordination and interrelationships with various BSF functions within the company in support of strategic business development effort.
- Serve as primary Subject Matter Expert and mentor to PD, as well as BU/BSF representatives, regarding both strategy and tactics of proposal development and content.
- Consult and coordinate with internal and external legal counsels on matters pertaining to proposal protests, disputes, and claim settlements.
- Ensure all aspects of the proposal process, including solution design (themes, discriminators, features, benefits, proofs), competitive intelligence, Color Teams, Price-to-Win, and other sophisticated aspects of competing on bids and proposals are compliant and executed at the highest levels.
- Maintain oversight of and ensure all production staff meet all production deadlines and on-time deliveries.
- Provide white-glove review of all proposals and ensure electronic or hard copy submissions are submitted compliant and on time.
Level of Supervision: Supervises Proposal Director, Proposal Managers, Proposal Specialists, Technical Writers, and Production Team.
Education & Experience: (or equivalent)
- Bachelor’s degree with a major that is related to these job duties; years of experience will be considered in lieu of degree.
- 15 years’ professional-level preparation of formal written proposals for federal government service contracts, including demonstrated experience preparing classified proposals.
- 8 years’ experience with Department of Defense proposal efforts in senior management or supervisory role.
- Proven performance and ownership in the life cycle development of sophisticated technical, engineering, or operations and maintenance proposals in the $5M to $5B range for federal and/or commercial customers.
- A strategist who understands all aspects of the proposal process, including CONOPS design (themes, discriminators, features, benefits, proofs), competitive intelligence, color teams, pricing strategy, and other aspects of competing on bids and proposals.
- Base Operations Support Services, Contingency Operations, IT and engineering, and aviation proposal experience highly desired.
License & Certifications:
- Association of Proposal Management Professionals (APMP) foundation-level accreditation required.
Security Clearance: Active Secret Clearance and eligible to obtain Top Secret Clearance.
IAP – Ingenuity and Purpose