BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases.
We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
By providing a foundation for all operations company wide, BioMarin’s General and Administrative teams support our mission of providing first and best in class therapeutics to patients who live with rare diseases.
Our teams include groups such as finance, legal, human resources, corporate compliance and ethics, and information technology. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
This role will be responsible for the development of the future state US Plant Controllership function to support Technical Operations Leadership in our Novato location.
Core responsibilities include directing all finance activities related to Novato manufacturing, supply chain, CMO, and quality operations including inventory costing and purchasing, goal setting and prioritization as well as developing metrics to track performance.
The US Controller will also provide Finance leadership representation for the Novato Leadership Team and influence the strategic direction for both Finance and Technical Operations departments as the company embarks on the next stage of growth and operational maturity.
This role is based in the Novato offices of BioMarin with frequent travel to the corporate San Rafael offices. Some travel to offices in Europe may be required. Bay area relocation package is provided.
Strategic Partner and US Business Process Owner of Inventory and Cost Accounting:
Key finance leader providing accounting guidance/advisory and facilitating the execution of the Technical Operations team’s cost transparency initiatives with holistic understanding of Inventory Accounting and related global processes.
Lead Cost Accounting transformation, including projects that will change the Company’s inventory costing methodology.
Lead and develop the a new plant controllership function in the US and create a globally consistent, scalable finance and accounting support model for Technical Operations executive leadership and BioMarin’s projected growth and partner with international plant controllership counterparts.
Transformation and Optimization of Day-to-Day Operations:
- Strong project management skills to ensure transformation initiatives continue to make progress and issues are resolved in a pragmatic, collaborative way that benefit BioMarin as a whole.
- Collaborate closely with and partner with Corporate Tax team on strategic tax initiatives and oversee the implementation related to Global Finance Business process matters (e.g., transfer pricing) and tax compliance matters.
- Ownership of Oracle transaction modules in the inventory and cost accounting operations processes, including the support of system enhancements and related automation initiatives. Direct activities of Financial Systems Manager in support of department’s Oracle and other accounting system administration and support.
- Own BioMarin US inventory and cost accounting processes and policies and procedures design, implementation and documentation, for purposes of efficiency and sound internal control.
- Collaborate closely with Corporate Accounting team, who maintain primary ownership of the financial close, consolidation and financial statement preparation processes. Support financial close and financialreporting process as it relates to US inventory and cost accounting processes.
- Maintain relationships and liaise with auditors and other external professional service firms as they relate to global finance business process and accounting operations.
- Complete ad hoc financial and accounting analyses and projects as requested by operational or executive management.
Core Plant Controllership Responsibilities:
- Manage all financial operations of the Novato operation, including commercial and clinical manufacturing, supply chain, CMO, and quality areas working in partnership with Finance and TOPs teams in San Rafael and Shanbally, Ireland.
- Providing comprehensive, high quality management information to aid and support strategic and day-to-day business decision making.
- Lead, motivate & develop plant controllership and cost accounting team and partner closely with TOP’s FP&A Finance colleagues.
- Manage the budgeting and planning for the different areas of Novato TOPs operations (manufacturing, supply chain, CMO, and quality).
- Work with the VP’s of Manufacturing and Supply Chain and other Site Leadership team to manage demand planning, production scheduling, and capacity analysis to make recommendations on capital investments, outsourcing decisions as well as perform ROI analyses.
- Developing and reporting Monthly KPI’s – responsible for determining meaningful and consistent Global Financial manufacturing KPI’s for operations, including definitions, calculations, and bringing foresight to likely impacts.
- Internal Controls – plays a key role in standardizing, ensuring compliance with Standard Operating practices and US GAAP requirements. Responsible for ensuring Internal and External Audits are conducted efficiently and any findings are actioned in a timely manner.
- Demonstrate technical and commercial credibility in order to be a fully functioning member of the Senior Management team. Communication skills will be exceptional and we require an individual with a flexible mindset able to embrace change, inspire others and influence strategic direction to support planned growth.
- Lead and establish annual Plant operating Budget and Long Range Plans’s including among other things: Labor & Overhead costs, Spending costs, Launch, Inventory and related costs - Analyzing, interpreting and communicating annual budgets to assure accuracy and reasonableness - Providing oversight of timely analysis of monthly financial results as compared to budgets, forecasts, prior year that provide meaningful business driver rationale for significant variances.
- Fixed Assets- overseeing fixed asset acquisitions / disposals and ensuring that fixed assets are properly identified and tracked in the physical asset management system. Coordination of Capital & Expense Projects (approvals, forecasts, work orders). Oversight of physical asset inventories to confirm assets in place and to correct where appropriate property accounting records.
- Actual Results- responsible for monthly accounting close and ensuring accuracy of the financials - understand all costs (specific and allocated) included in plant ledger.
- Drive Product margin improvement initiatives to increase competitiveness of the Novato manufacturing site, develop and track Year on Year net cost changes.
- Provide financial review of our Manufacturing and Supply network dealing with multiple CMO’s.
- Support R&D and other grant funding claims with external stakeholders.
- Lead and support Business Process Excellence (BPE) initiatives in finance and on the plant with a view to introducing efficiencies to processes to prepare for future growth.
- Bring a cost focus to all plant activities to help BioMarin achieve its profitability goals.
Bachelor’s in Accounting or Business Administration or Finance with Accounting emphasis or work experience and
Certified Managerial or Public Accountantexperience a plus.
- Minimum 12years of experience with a strong emphasis on both significant manufacturing experience and management of the inventory transaction cycles and the related GAAP accounting.
- Experience with directing and leading a strong team of finance and cost accounting professionals. Strong leadership skills and the ability to collaborate and influence are critical.
- Inside public company accounting and financeexperience (i.e., leadership of Inventory/Supply Chain/Quality Operations Finance/Manufacturing/CMO/Accounting) and experience or familiarity in a complex environment (large, multi-national corporation experience strongly preferred). Financial planning and analysis experience a plus.
- ERP system experiencerequired as related to operational transaction cycles (Oracle EBS R12preferred).