Job Description Summary
At Enterprise Community Development (ECD), we believe that home – regardless of neighborhood – should be a place of pride, happiness and opportunity. A 501c(3) nonprofit organization, ECD’s Mission is to establish well-designed affordable housing, while connecting our residents to vital services they require. Operating in the US Mid-Atlantic region, ECD is already the fifth largest affordable housing company in the country – including over 16,000 homes for families and seniors in over 110 communities in Washington DC, Maryland, Virginia, and Pennsylvania. ECD works in close partnership with community and national foundations; federal, state, and local governments; local public and private service agencies; and other nonprofits.
Enterprise has an internal Resource Development Group (RDG) that is dedicated to the Philanthropic work and the Senior Director, Philanthropic Strategy & Engagement will collaborate with this team; while having a dotted matrix to this group.
The Senior Director, Philanthropic Strategy & Engagement is an individual contributor that will lead the development and strategic management of ECD’s financial philanthropic outreach to foundations, corporations, individuals and government sector fundraising. The Senior Director plays a central role in the development and packaging of requests for funding that help drive the success of one of the country’s largest regional non-profit provider of affordable housing. The Director’s dual focus is to: Generate capital funding to support ECD’s Mission of creating and preserving affordable housing for low-income families and seniors. Provide operating and programmatic support to deliver vital services to our residents when and where needed.Job Description
- Strategy: Develop a deep understanding of ECD’s Vision, Mission, programs and initiatives; continuously help to refine and tweak strategy to support the Mission and achieve organizational goals.
- Outreach: Personally identify, engage, and cultivate relationships with high net worth individual and institutional donors for capital, programmatic and general operations.
- Fundraising: Develop and execute a comprehensive capital and operating fundraising plan targeting corporations, foundations, and government resources. Produce and submit content to secure philanthropic gifts.
- Thought Leadership: Lead ECD’s strategic approach to philanthropic outreach based upon a deep knowledge of best practices. Write concept papers, represent ECD at national conferences and symposia. Independently generate formal proposals (from start to finish) that leverage ECD staff and resources as required. This requires the ability to conceptualize new initiatives and programs, appropriately document existing programs, calibrate funder priorities with the company’s capacity and strengths, and entrepreneurially develop new win/win relationships between the company and the philanthropic community.
- Compelling Communication: Translate these concepts into actionable programs through effective verbal and written proposals to donors and select prospects. Help produce a bench of dynamic and colorful descriptive language characterizing the company and it’s program. Provide content support to other business units in their pursuit of capital and programmatic grants.
- Relationships: Develop and provide effective one-on-one relationship management and donor stewardship. Work effectively with the President & CEO, peers, and colleagues
- Reporting: Track and report upon fundraising activities and progress in a timely and accurate manner to the President
- At least five years progressive fundraising success in a complex nonprofit organization exceeding revenue plans
- Proven ability to:
- Ability to effectively sell vision to donors and communities
- Develop an annual grant strategy
- Conduct prospect research to identify, cultivate and solicit new grants
- Establish a targeted ECD donor base ranging from individuals, to community offices to national leaders.
- Identify and contact potential donors and donor organizations
- Organize campaigns or events to solicit donations (Annual campaign fundraising, Capital campaign fundraising, Major-gift fundraising, Planned-giving fundraising)
- Excellent writing and verbal communications skills, including demonstrated grant writing expertise
- Create a strong fundraising message that appeals to ECD’s select donor base
- Grant writing: Write high-quality grant proposal narratives, applications, and supporting documentations.
- Manage the proposal submission process to ensure timely submission of all required materials
- The proven ability to work effectively with senior representatives of prospect organizations; build and sustain productive relationships; and represent Enterprise Community Development professionally
- The proven ability to work effectively in a complex, matrixed organization environment with executives, peers, and colleagues
- Analytic & reporting skills
- Demonstrated experience in, or working knowledge of, the affordable housing/community development sector
- Collaborative work style; engender trust and mutual respect
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred