Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
The Operations Research (OR) Group at Amtrak provides advanced analytics, business optimization and consulting services to various internal business customers with the goal of achieving cost savings , revenue enhancements and/or business process improvement.
Positioned within the Operations organization , this department functions as an internal consulting group providing analytical and decision support services to management and decision makers at different levels of the organization . This position is responsible for positively demonstrating Amtrak's valueS, core competencies and leadership philosophy while providing excellent customer service that meets or exceeds performance targets that are driven by and aligned with the Strategic Plan goals in the following aspects : Safety and Security, Customer Focus, and Financial Excellence.
The Senior Director of Operations Research is responsible for leading and developing a staff of highly educated Operations Research professionals. The incumbent will set the strategy for rolling out Operations Research as a tool to help improve the business. Will develop solid working relationships with the business lines and otherinternal customers from a consulting prospective - promoting and selling the Operations Research brand throughout the organization. Will ensure they and their staff are up to date on current operation's research techniques and methodologies , partnering with other domestic railroads to develop synergy and leverage the groups to solve shared problems. Responsible for maintaining matrix management relationships with other functional and technical groups within the company to ensure compliance with standards and policies established by Amtrak and regulatory authorities . Such matrix relationships include, but are not limited to teams responsible for continuous improvement, fleet performance, crew management, equipment planning, marketing and sales, revenue management , human capital, finance, technology and more.
• Set the strategy for introducing Operations Research tools and techniques to the organization .
• Leads the development and implementation of data-dr iven workable solutions , analyses and decision support tools that align with customers ' requirements and expectations.
• Leads the effort to collaborate with other internal teams to understand the business and technology/data aspects in order to identify appropriate opportunities. Leads the effort to initiate new projects for business improvement using advanced analytics.
• Ensures the department uses the latest advanced analytical techniques including but not limited to mathematical optimization , simulation , data mining, forecasting, stochastic modeling and others tools as appropriate for the situation .
• Leads the effort to work with the business partners and end-users to validate and improve results, clearly communicates and coordinates the efforts with senior management and other related stakeholders.
• Keeps current with research, technology and the industry trend. Actively involved in the industry and brings new ideas and concepts to Amtrak.
• Leads I oversees all analytics and optimization initiatives. Ensures the right resources are assigned to each project to garner effective results. Cross-trains the department to keep staff fresh and engaged.
• Leads the effort to train and positively influence others within Amtrak on analytics, new tools and advanced analytical techniques.
• The Senior Director of Operations Research will be responsible for meeting departmental goals as well as business line goals as may be cascaded from time to time.
• Practical experience applying quantitative techniques to solve real-world problems. Ability to identify underlying problems and appropriate techniques for solving them.
• Expertise and hands-on working experience in all areas as described below:
o Optimization: Extensive experience using commercially available and/or opensource optimization packages such as Gurobi, CPLEX, Xpress, COIN-OR, and developing and deploying object-oriented programs using Java (preferred) ,
C++, etc. Expertise in linear and non-linear programming, meta-heuristics, and network flow algorithms .
o Advanced Analytics : Strong analytics skills of analyzing large-volume complex data sets and building statistical models to obtain business insights and drive improvement changes. Good working knowledge of prevailing analytics tools such as R, SAS, Python, SQL and familiar with reporting tools such as Tableau and BOBJ.
o Simulation: Experience in computer simulation models (discrete event and/or
agent-based) and familiar with simulation tools, e.g., AnyLogic, Sirnio, Arena .
• Considered an expert in Operations Research field.
• Strong project management skills and demonstrated ability to lead multiple project members that may not directly have a reporting relationship. Ability to effectively lead through complex projects.
• Effective interpersonal communication skills including writing, presentation, meeting and interview facilitation
• Demonstrated experience in successfully collaborating with a variety of functional departments and customers.
• Ability to effectively facilitate change including development of innovative approaches designed to improve the business' bottom line.
• Advanced leadership, project management and conflict resolution skills with a proven ability to motivate others and foster changes .
• At least 5 year project leading role.
• Any suitable combinat ion of education, training and experience is acceptable.
COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
• Possesses highly advanced communication skills to advise, guide and influence others on complex issues that affect Operations Research.
• Effective interpersonal communication skills including writing, presentation, meeting and interview facilitation along with extensive experience communicating orally and in writing within and outside of an organization.
• Regularly interacts internally and externally with executive level management and/or major customers/clients/constituents
• Demonstrated ability to Inspire and persuade others to voluntarily follow direction, pursue and achieve goals, and adopt new positions or opinions
• Demonstrated leadership and decision making skills.
• Proven skills in analysis and financial presentations .
• Excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills.
• Teamwork and highly capable communications and consensus building.
• Demonstrated computer skills including word processing, spreadsheets and presentation software.
• Proven ability to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment that requires the individual to manage simultaneously several tasks , while paying attention to detail and quality. Background in passenger rail or transportation , with strong analytical and planning skills to improve business processes, increase automation , and resolve issues.
• Extensive analytical experience coupled with superior analytical skills.
Posting Location(s):District of Columbia; Maryland; Virginia
Job Family/Function:Research & Strategy
Education Requirements:Masters Degree
Travel Requirements:Up to 25%
Employment Experience Requirements:10 plus years of experience