The senior leader in the Planning and Project Management group is a key position at the University of Rochester that requires an individual capable of managing in a complex and decentralized organization that often has conflicting priorities. This individual will have a resultsoriented and high-energy style with first hand experience in developing and managing a serviceoriented Planning and Project Management group of significant scale, complexity, and stature that includes a health care and research component.
- Senior Director of PPM provides leadership that supports healthy communications and working environment between PPM staff and customers (especially senior leaders at the Medical Center). Participates extensively to ensure project scope is adequately defined and addresses projectspecific challenges.
- Senior Director of PPM supports the Senior Associate Vice President in setting appropriate milestones and assigns staff qualified to handle the scope and complexity of the project. This individual works closely with clients and PPM staff and is responsible for developing relationships that generate client satisfaction to the University's demanding standards.
- Provides oversight in managing all necessary resources from start-up through closeout and for ensuring that both the customer's expectations and budgetary objectives are achieved. This involves: overseeing projects at a high level from beginning to end including budget, costs, unexpected events, general performance, and overall progress against the original plan. It also involves ensuring that the day-to-day operations of projects are transitioned effectively to Project Managers and later maintenance personnel.
- Develop, organize and lead a capabilities based project management organization with the responsibility to provide solutions and services to the University, championing a team environment amongst the different disciplines in order to meet project goals.
- Plans and manage budgets and identify capital needs for effective operations.
- Develop departmental goals and objectives which align with those of the division.
- Drive complex engineering projects to successful completion in a timely manner.
- Ensure University Construction Standards, Policies and Contracts are reviewed and updated.
- Drives approval and implementation of new standards, policies and contract processes as it relates to departmental efficiency, effectiveness and value.
- Establish and conduct project reviews both internal and with customers.
- Reviews, approves and maintains contractual documents. Provides guidance on contract matters to project managers or other operations staff. Works with Risk Management, Finance and Legal to insure compliance with University requirements.
- Senior Director of PPM needs leadership capabilities that motivate their staff to exceed expectations. Exhibits excellent business judgment to consistently analyze and execute financial trade-offs, which frequently involve dealing with incomplete data and ambiguity. Excellent problem solving skills together with the ability to confidently and decisively take action necessary to achieve project closeouts while maintaining positive team relationships.