The Senior Director of Operations (Arlington, VA) will report to the Executive Director . The primary work of the Senior Director of Operations (Arlington, VA) is overseeing core operations functions at the Year Up site, playing a pivotal role in overseeing organizational planning and driving the execution of strategic goals, as well as seeing that tactical solutions and activities are occurring to meet the strategic goals. Also, the Senior Director of Operations (Arlington, VA) will oversee the annual budgeting process and manage the site’s financial resources, in addition to scoping and managing other strategic projects. In addition, the Senior Director of Operations (Arlington, VA) is responsible for enhancing the people systems that support Year Up’s staff. Working closely with site leadership and National staff, the Senior Director of Operations (Arlington, VA) will manage a small team to ensure smooth office operations.
To be successful in this role, you will bring a strategic mind and collaborative approach to leadership, enjoying the challenge of constantly and consistently improving operational efficiency and performance in a fast-paced environment. In addition, you will be skilled at anticipating the needs of others and proactively taking on new challenges to support business and people needs. Ideally, you bring strong business and financial management experience, with a focused, thoughtful approach to strategy and planning.
The Senior Director of Operations (Arlington, VA) will also have the opportunity to interact with students as a mentor, group facilitator, and advocate, participating in building a positive educational environment.
We understand that people gain skills through a variety of professional, personal, educational, and volunteer experiences. We encourage candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications below. If you believe you have the transferable skills necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of this role, we encourage you to apply.
Leadership and Strategy
- Drive execution of key site priorities and performance goals in collaboration with the site’s leadership team
- Lead site's annual goal setting process and facilitate regular strategic planning
- Ensure site's goals and operations align with National organizational priorities
- Regularly evaluate operating results to ensure organizational goals are being met
- Identify special projects that will increase the effectiveness and efficiency of the site
- Ensure strategic priorities are aligned with budget priorities and translated into executable plans
- Manage a small Operations team, providing consistent coaching, feedback and support in keeping with Year Up’s core values and commitment to people
- Ensure team is well positioned to achieve smooth office operations, including service to staff as well as relationships with service providers and vendors
- Other duties as assigned
- Provide site's leadership team timely and insightful analysis of financial operations to ensure the most efficient utilization of site resources
- Oversee the execution of sound, timely, and accurate financial management planning and reporting practices
- Manage the annual budget development process across all departments and implement budget tracking systems that balance organizational priorities and objectives
- Ensure a culture of excellence by creating and executing practices that empower staff, enable speed and flexibility, and maintain the highest quality of service with site operations
- Lead regular bench assessments and pipeline planning to enrich the site’s approach to strategic team development
- Oversee execution of people systems activities including hiring, performance appraisals, merit pay structures, terminations, and management of contract mechanisms for employment
- Lead, coach, and develop staff members; support the creation of opportunities for professional development and maintaining staff morale
- Lead the development and standardization of day-to-day operational systems, participating in both executive-level and detail-level decision-making on the full range of site activities
- Build and nurture critical relationships with key stakeholders that support capacity building, site growth, and operational efficiency
- Represent the site's voice in cross-site operations matters; collaborate with colleagues in Year Up's National office to effectively roll out cross site operations initiatives
- Oversee development and implementation of facilities plan to manage and operate site facilities
- Embrace and take on ad hoc issues related to site operations
Site Team/Learning Community Member
- Serve as a coach or mentor for a small number of current students
- Join and sometimes facilitate weekly group sessions with students
- Participate in staff meetings and trainings
- 7+ years of experience leading the development and execution of key operational and strategic functions within a high-performing entrepreneurial company or nonprofit preferred
- 5+ years of direct management and dotted line/influence management preferred
- Excellent flexibility and adaptability with a strong work ethic and entrepreneurial spirit to accommodate large responsibility and shifting priorities
- Demonstrated success creating and managing budgets in a resource-constrained environment
- Experience leading an organization through periods of significant growth
- Experience leading and managing teams with shared responsibility for outcomes
- Excellent project management skills combined with outstanding team building and strong management abilities
- Ability to make firm executive-level decisions in a dynamic and fast-paced environment
- Sophisticated interpersonal and people management skills including strong written and verbal communication skills
- Desire to take the lead in creating an organizational culture of sustainability and excellence
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office with strong PowerPoint and Excel skills
- Experience using Salesforce.compreferred
- A passion for working with urban young adults, an unshakable belief in their potential, and a strong commitment to the mission of Year Up
- Understanding of the Opportunity Divide and its drivers
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
- Salary: Competitive and commensurate with education and experience
- Benefits: Competitive package including 100% healthcare coverage, dental, and 401(k) match
- Vacation: Three weeks paid vacation in first year of employment; four weeks after initial year
- Professional development: Funds available to support staff in achieving career objectives
Year Up is an award-winning national 501(c)3 organization with a mission to close the Opportunity Divide by providing young adults ages 18-24 with the skills, experience, and support that will empower them to reach their potential through professional careers and higher education. Through a one-year intensive program, Year Up utilizes a high support, high expectations model that combines hands-on technical and professional skills, educational stipends, college-level coursework, and corporate internships at more than 250 top companies. Its holistic approach focuses on students' professional and personal development to place talented and motivated young adults on a viable path to economic self-sufficiency.
Year Up has served more than 19,500 young adults since its founding in 2000, and will serve more than 4,000 young adults in 2018 nationwide. Year Up currently serves 21 U.S. cities across 16 markets, including Arizona, Baltimore, Chicago, Dallas/Fort Worth, Greater Atlanta, Greater Boston, Greater Philadelphia, Jacksonville, Los Angeles, the National Capital Region, New York City, Providence, Puget Sound, San Francisco Bay Area, South Florida, and Wilmington.
Voted one of the Best Nonprofits to Work For in the country by The NonProfit Times for eight consecutive years, Year Up is a rewarding place to work. Our staff is passionate, supportive, mission-driven, and committed to positive change and continuous learning. We set high standards for both ourselves and our students, and live by a set of core values that reflect an unshakable belief in the talent and full potential of our young people. The work we do is life-changing, and we know that our team is the greatest asset in achieving our mission.