The Institute for Humane Studies (IHS) seeks a Senior Director of Marketing & Program Support to support a growing community of university scholars across the country in advancing a better understanding of the principles of classical liberalism--including a free and open society, free speech and open inquiry--and helping them to flourish on college campuses.
At IHS, we've taken great strides to 'walk the talk' of our vision statement, and the Senior Director of Marketing & Program Support helps us 'talk the walk'; this role is vital to demonstrating our value to our varied, yet specific, audiences, from the promising academic talent who can benefit from our programming and career support to the prestigious foundations that can best support our mission.
This position faces both inward and outward; you will plan, develop, implement, and oversee all internal communications, external communications, media presentations and relations, donor development programs, and advertising as it relates to specific teams within IHS.
As the most senior position within the Marketing Department, you will lead, hone, and leverage the skills our creative teams to remove status quo from the equation and translate strategy into impressive results. You'll be asked to lead by example, so be prepared to flex your creative and communications muscles as necessary.
Reporting to the Managing Director of Communications & Marketing, the Senior Director of Marketing & Program Support is a marketer of marketers; they understand the nuanced needs of the teams they lead and support and how their collective efforts support the larger vision, strategy, and reputation of the organization.
- -Build an innovative, entrepreneurial marketing team of highly professional, client-focused, creative, nimble, and data-driven minds.
- -Design and implement an articulated marketing plan to key target audiences, including university scholars, members, partners, and essential stakeholders, as well as the teams responsible for creating it.
- -Liaise with senior directors, especially the Senior Director of Communications, to ensure a strategic and holistic message that resonates across our various platforms, departments, and audiences.
- -Manage the development, refinement, and implementation of corporate communications strategy, guidelines and procedures to ensure consistent branding and messaging.
The ideal candidate will:
- -Demonstrate a record of success working with project and subject matter experts to developing and leading dynamic, marketing and communication campaigns.
- -Smoothly implement new initiatives with a focus on strategy and innovation.
- -Generously collaborate with the department directors, creative team leads, and development.
- -Possess excellent writing, editing, and communication skills, with the additional ability to quickly and persuasively tailor written materials to individual donors.
- -Speak data and analytics as a second language and deploy relevant analysis and metrics to demonstrate the effectiveness of the marketing and communication programs.
- -Thrive under pressure, exhibiting flexibility and diplomacy with a keen attention to deadlines and strong organizational skills.
- -Be deeply familiar with communications across multiple channels and platforms and speak best practices as a second language.
- -Be proficient in proposal and budget development.
Position Requirements and Preferences
- -Minimum of 10 years' experience in nonprofit, academic, or corporate communications
- -7+ years of direct senior-level experience in a significant leadership role
- -Professional work experience in communications/public relations/journalism/content strategy commensurate with the role.
- -Experience in higher education a plus, but not required.
- -Relevant degree in marketing, communications, business, English, etc. Undergraduatedegreerequired, graduate degree in relevant field preferred.
All IHS employees receive:
- -A competitive salary that reflects your experience
- -Metro-accessible location in the heart of Clarendon
- -Great medical and dental benefits
- -403(b), FSAs, long-term disability, and other valuable benefits
- -Free parking or transportation offset
- -One free course per semester at George Mason University (GMU)
The opportunity to do meaningful work in support of a mission-driven organization