About the role:
The Senior Director of Global Content Strategy will help lead the Programming and Content Strategy team to create and disseminate the company’s programming, acquisition and upstream strategy, ensuring that we target, secure, invest in and produce the best content and the most impactful content partnerships to super-serve our passionate audience. He/she will bring experienced insight into the trends in the anime marketplace - as well as where there may be gaps in Crunchyroll’s portfolio of licensed content - to inform Crunchyroll’s overall content strategy.
The Senior Director will guide and advise on all aspects of content strategy globally including content licensing, investment, co-production and originals, and will also identify new and unique ways to build Crunchyroll’s brand as the premier/preferred partner throughout the anime industry. The team also sits at the strategic center of how content is displayed and presented to users, including content windowing strategy, on-and-off site curation and programming, etc.
Content is at the heart of Crunchyroll and the Content Team works closely with almost every team in the company. As such, the Senior Director will be a highly collaborative person who has extensive experience successfully working cross-functionally (e.g. with product, engineering, finance, business development and marketing teams). In this role, they will also interface closely with the Head of Originals and the Head of Studio to ensure our Original Content strategy grows in parallel with our acquired programming strategy.
This individual will report directly to the Head of Programming and Content Strategy and act as a de facto Chief of Staff, helping to guide all strategic decisions as they relate to content and content partnerships globally. He/she will have deep knowledge of the anime space and a passion for content, deal-making, and relationship building. He/she will be seasoned, creative and entrepreneurial in spirit and carry a positive, company-first (and team-first!) attitude. He/She will be fully bilingual (English and Japanese) ideally has worked in the Anime industry in multiple capacities including strategy, production, business development and games, and should come with a built-in rolodex of high-level talent, studios and content providers in the industry.
A day in the life of the Senior Director, Global Content Strategy:
- Develop and direct the content acquisition, distribution, production investment, partner management, strategic alliances and programming strategy globally
- Mentor and lead a team of content analysts and strategists, and influence and guide a team of 20+ people (including content licensing, production and content investment) across three time zones: San Francisco, Japan and Europe
- Leverage existing data and develop new and unique ways to use and interpret data to ensure our leadership in the space. Continue to solidify our position with content partners as the knowledge center for anime globally.
- Disseminate and champion content analytics to drive product decisions (including but not limited to: windowing strategy, advertising load, content curation, content release and cadencing, etc).
- Establish/build on trusted relationships and open dialogue with existing partners and other key players in marketplace, frequently communicating priorities, direction and other useful information; keep an ear to the ground and ensuring Crunchyroll is in a position to quickly react to fast-breaking marketplace activity
- Inform strategies to transform traditional licensing partnerships into forward thinking strategic partnerships and move traditional acquisition approaches upstream to ensure the longevity and security of the content pipeline.
- Monitor, analyze and interpret industry and content trends to guide global strategy
- Review sales/royalty and financial data to determine how actual results and projected trends align with expectations, make recommendations on adjustments
- Work with the Head of Content Strategy & Programming on team structure and processes to optimize for speed and innovation, with a strong focus on collaboration and cross-company transparency
- Attract and secure top-tier talent
- Collaborate across the organization w/heads of product, marketing, BD, Finance, International, Originals and others and socialize vision and strategy company-wide
- Determine, track and manage content budget; work closely with FP&A to evolve success metrics. Monitor pacing, investment scenarios and potential impacts to the LRP
- Encourage internal collaboration and cross-departmental information sharing
- 10+ years in the anime industry with direct experience in anime production, anime consortiums, business development, strategy and games.
- Strong rolodex of contacts at and equally strong reputation with major publishers, studios, producers and content companies in the anime industry in Japan
- Experience at major Japanese media company and/or top-tier OTT service
- English/Japanese bilingual and able to break-down and understand nuances of the languages to build and translate strategy across cultures
- Proven business development maven with a track record of striking large-scale, innovative partnerships with Japanese companies within media or otherwise
- Strong negotiator; understands the specifics of anime rights and can structure and negotiate licensing, co-production, investment, IP and partnership deals
- Track record of implementing processes to improve results around content programming, licensing, deals, etc.
- Excellent persuasive presentation, verbal and written communication skills
- Highly collaborative team player with consistent success in cross-functional organizational structures
- Willingness to travel overseas frequently