The Senior Director, New Business Development (NBD) provides leadership in Save the Children's efforts to achieve greater program results at scale, especially for the most deprived, through the successful pursuit of large and strategic funding opportunities. In collaboration with the Associate Vice President (AVP) of Portfolio Growth and Performance (PGP), they help develop and execute the vision, strategy and operational plan to support country and technical offices in positioning the agency to successfully compete for specific opportunities, responding to those opportunities with a quality capture and proposal development process and product, and building and maintaining an effective NBD "system" of tools, processes and capacities across the agency. The Senior Director will play a key role in managing teams, resources, institutional practices, and relationships to grow the agency's revenue and impact through the submission of successful proposals to US Government donors.
What You'll Be Doing (Essential Duties)
- Coordinate across business teams, functional departments, regional and country offices to mobilize resources, prioritize and advance initiatives, and promote consistent approaches and best practices in business development (20%)
- Manage the deployment of proposal team members and oversee proposal capture, management, recruitment, and production processes. Participate on proposal and capture teams as needed (20%)
- Supervise proposal management and recruitment teams, mentoring NBD staff to understand and uphold quality standards, ensuring close collaboration and cross-fertilization across those teams, and supporting staff to achieve their performance and professional development objectives (20%)
- Manage the agency's Strategic Opportunities Fund, supporting the development of sound and well-justified resource requests, advising executives on investment decisions, and overseeing budget monitoring and analysis (10%)
- Support the analysis of Save the Children's proposal performance, ensuring lessons and conclusions are documented, shared, and fed back into future proposal efforts (5%)
- Lead and support select agency initiatives to expand into new markets or strengthen its competitiveness in new areas, such as contracting, global mechanisms, and new sub-sectors (5%).
- Contribute subject matter expertise to, and support the dissemination of, NBD tools, resources, learning materials, and other institutional BD knowledge (5%).
- Oversee pipeline management, ensuring that information on upcoming strategic opportunities in core program areas is tracked, disseminated, and utilized to guide agency investment and bid decisions (10%)
- Guide donor intelligence, market research, and capture strategies to effectively position Save the Children as a partner of choice and a strong competitor (5%)
- Minimum 10-15 years' experience in international development, and demonstrated success and leadership in leading efforts around USG funded proposal development.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent relevant experience required.
- Strong managerial knowledge, skills, and experience to lead a unit or team, including management of remote staff
- Demonstrated ability to lead business development efforts from opportunity identification through proposal submission with a track record of success
- Flexible nature and workstyle, and ability to rapidly re-prioritize the time and resources of a team
- Expert level understanding of USAID funding streams and trends in USAID procurement processes
- Ability to travel internationally and domestically, up to 15% of the year.
- Intermediate Foreign language skills (French, Spanish) desirable
- Experience in a country or regional office
What's In It for You
- Aetna Medical and Dental insurance with a concierge service
- Health Care and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account
- Vision Insurance
- Life insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Commuter Benefit Program
- Vacation and Sick leave
- Paid holidays