The Senior Director, Marketing Strategy works with key therapeutic and business development stakeholders to develop a comprehensive, integrated therapeutic area (TA)and/or business unit (BU) specific marketing strategy – aligning plans around focused indication areas, points of differentiation and key supporting messages, key customer/stakeholder insights tied to buying behavior, incorporating key competitive and market landscape dynamics. The role sits within the Global Marketing and Commercial Operations department, and works collaboratively with TA/BU leadership to assist in overall strategy development, customer and competitor research, and value propositions for new products/services supports.
Responsible for translating overall strategy into recommended marketing approaches, working with the Marketing delivery and Corporate Communications team members within Global Marketing. The position collaborates with executives, therapeutic leaders, sales, and customers to define the brand and develop meaningful messages and content. Reporting to the EVP, Global Strategic Marketing and Commercial Operations and working closely with other executives throughout Worldwide Clinical Trials, the Sr. Director of Marketing Strategy will lead efforts to strategically position the TA, the company in new and existing markets/therapeutic areas.
Tasks may include but are not limited to the following:
- Marketing Strategy Development
- Working with therapeutic area leads and sales, develop therapeutic and/or business unit marketing strategy for target indications and/or products services
- Annual plan development and quarterly refresh
- Develop clear and differentiating message platforms to support unit / indication specific growth and aligned to overall company branding.
- Develop research plans to test messaging as needed to ensure relevance and resonance with key buyer types.
- Develop strong collaborative relationships with key stakeholders and senior management team to ensure consistency and alignment.
- Lead cross functional project teams directed at marketing strategy, value proposition, message development and thought leadership themes/topics.
- Work closely with global marketing team in translating strategy into specific marketing plans and campaigns consistent with value proposition and messaging (TA and corporate).
- Manage any external vendors/consultants.
- Market Landscape and Competitive Intelligence
- Regularly provide ongoing scans of relevant market and competitive intelligence to TAs, BD/Commercial and Sr. Management; distill insights and implications for growth strategy.
- Develop annual therapeutic/business unit specific situation analysis in support of the strategic planning cycle; produce quarterly updates/analysis and actionable insights. Present as required to leadership.
- Voice of Customer Insights
- Utilize customer interviews / advisory boards (vetted by Commercial and TA teams) to refine value propositions and messaging platforms
- Assist / collaborate with Commercial and TAs to develop regular customer surveys / interviews with the goal to extract learning and actionable insights.
- Distill learnings / insights into continuous improvement refinements to marketing strategy and messaging.
- New Service / Product Value Proposition Development
- Working collaboratively with BU or TA head, assist in development of new service / product offerings including:
- Market / customer need intelligence
- Competitor landscape and service offering comparison
- Proposed messaging / points of differentiation
- Test range of options as needed for relevance
- Develop marketing strategy aligned with go-to-marketing plans
- Work with global marketing team to develop campaigns and programs to assist in achieving growth forecasts
- Overarching Business Unit / Therapeutic Area Strategy Support
- Working collaboratively with BU or TA head, assist / support the development of overall growth strategy for unit:
- Develop / implement consistent framework for strategy articulation (i.e. situation analysis, SWOT, customer research, strategy template etc)
- As required collaborating with BU or TA head, assist in development of KPIs and marketing strategy to support business objectives.
- Working with global marketing team, establish measurement framework for marketing strategy and campaign plans including (but not limited to):
- Awareness and perception of therapeutic expertise amongst targeted customer audience
- Content effectiveness
- Channel effectiveness
- Monitors the success of marketing strategies and makes course corrections in order to meet the established goals in each area.
- Provide regular organizational updates (quarterly) on performance of marketing efforts with recommendations for optimization.
Perform other duties as assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed above are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong written and verbal communication skills to clearly and concisely present information
- Strong organizational management skills with exceptional ability to prioritize and manage time effectively
- Maintain a high level of Worldwide Clinical Trial solution expertise and competitive intelligence
- Strong strategic planning and analysis skills in sales, marketing, and business strategy
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and details in a fast-paced and constantly changing environment
- Proficiency in all MS-Office applications including Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- 10+ years of pharmaceutical industry experience; CRO experience a plus
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing or related field; Master’s Degree a plus
- 10+ years of strategy development, strategic messaging and market/customer research with proven track record creating and executing strategic plans
- Experience with new service/product offering development
- Experience managing agencies and consultants.
- Proven cross functional leadership and influencing skills.
- Strong understanding of customer buyer type with proven track record for constructive engagement
- Experience working with and supporting senior management.
- The ability to lead and inspire internal and external content creators to achieve the company’s business goals.
- Project management skills to manage schedules and deadlines within corporate and ongoing campaigns.
- Demonstrated communication skills, a positive attitude, a team player, and the ability to achieve set targets.
- Detail- and service-oriented, and able to work effectively under pressure.
- Self-motivated with a tenacious drive for results.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective internal and external relationships.