The Cooper Companies is in search of a Senior Director of Internal Audit, who will be responsible for the development, execution and administration of the internal audit program, which includes support for the CooperVision and CooperSurgical lines of business. The position reports to either the CFO or Chief Accounting Officer and will provide management and the Audit Committee with objective analyses, observations and recommendations developed in conjunction with the Internal Audit Department’s review of the accounting, financial, compliance, contractual and other activities.
Office Location: Cooper’s office in either New York, Connecticut or United Kingdom
- Provide leadership to the Internal Audit activities of The Cooper Companies ensuring high quality audit output including the annual risk assessment, project planning, field work, and audit reports/results memos.
- Annually prepare an internal audit plan for the following fiscal year provided to senior management and the audit committee.
- Understand the key components of risk within the business and ensure these areas are reviewed and tested as appropriate. Ensures the company understands the state and effectiveness of the business control environment.
- Effectively utilize qualified Internal Audit resources both internal and co-source provider to meet audit obligations.
- Establish and maintain effective executive and senior management relationships. Seen as a leader no only within internal audit but the overall company.
- Effectively communicate with the Audit Committee, management, co-source partner, external audit and the various operations. Ensure key findings and risks are communicated in a timely and effective manner.
- Participates in major business initiatives and pro-actively advise and assists the business on change initiatives.
- Hire, manage, train and develop internal audit staff.
- Understands and adheres to IIA professional auditing standards, where appropriate.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of US GAAP, SEC, PCAOB and statutory reporting requirements.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to communicate with all levels of management.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office products, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Familiarity with major business processes including those related to manufacturing.
- Strong technical internal audit skills, including IT audit skills and knowledge of SOX 404.
- Ability to interact comfortably with executive management and board members.
- Ability to build strong relationships with auditees.
- Superior analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Excellent listening, verbal, written and presentations skills.
- Sound judgment and the highest integrity.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable the individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. Work environment includes: ADA compliant building, workstation in a well-lighted, air-conditioned office, computer, printer and fax supplied by The Cooper Companies. The noise level in the work environment is usually low. Travel required 30 – 40%, including International Travel.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of these jobs, the employee is frequently required to stand, sit, and use hands for coordination, handling, or feeling. The employee must be able to use the telephone, operate a computer keyboard, copier, and fax. The employee must be able to work at a computer and/or laptop without difficulty. The employee must hear at a level to hear normal conversations, and have the visual ability to read the computer screen and documents. Must be able to lift up to 10 pounds. Position requires occasional air travel and mobility inside and outside of business establishments.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business, or related field.
- CPA and CIA designation preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in positions performing internal audits and/or related functions with Big 4 or similar CPA firm audit experience.
- Minimum 5 years Internal Audit Leadership experience at a mid-size or larger global publicly traded company.
- Hands on experience overseeing full cycle Sarbanes-Oxley projects and implementing requirements under Section 404.
- Hands on internal audit experience direction financial and operational audits, and evaluating internal controls.