Sangamo Therapeutics seeks a dynamic and highly motivated patent attorney or patent agent to play a leadership role in partnership with the business to shape IP strategy around Sangamo's innovative programs in genomic medicines.
- Closely partner with business to provide client counseling on IP issues.
- Independently develop and manage strategic patent portfolios including drafting and prosecuting patent applications worldwide in a diverse and growing technological field to create an intellectual property portfolio aligned with the strategy of the company.
- Independently conduct due diligence (including freedom-to-operate, infringement and validity analyses).
- Collaborate with corporate attorneys to provide IP support for agreements (including MTAs, CDAs, research collaborations, and licensing agreements).
- Effectively manage external relationships with outside counsel and collaborators.
- Work effectively both independently and in global and cross-functional teams.
- Manage and prioritize multiple matters simultaneously and independently.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS:
- Advanced degree in the life sciences is required; Ph.D. preferred.
- Admission to practice before the USPTO. If JD, admission in good standing to any state bar.
- 15+ years of Patent Counsel/Agent experience in drafting and prosecuting patent applications, developing strategic patent portfolios, conducting patentability and freedom to operate analyses. Experience supporting therapeutics and patent life cycle management required. Experience in both law firm and biotech/pharma industry preferred.
- Substantial agreement and transactional experience required.
- Strong collaborator with excellent communications skills who brings energy and inspiration.
- Motivated and enthusiastic individual with the drive and organizational skills to manage a variety of complex projects with ability to adjust to shifting priorities.
- This position can be located in either our Point Richmond or Brisbane, CA offices and will require occasional travel to the other site.