Lead the Global Industrial Design function of Spectrum Brands’ Home Appliance division. The Sr. Director will have the sole leadership responsibility for the creative elements of Industrial Design; for related process and systems development; and for the management of internal and contractindustrial design resources.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Establishment of, and improvements to the processes, methods, tools, and skills of the Home Appliance Industrial Design team for Spectrum Brands
- Lead a global team that is responsible for creation of designs and synthesis of design concepts to create product designs that meet internal and external customers’ needs.
- Lead a global team to collaborate with regional marketing organizations to develop design concepts and stimuli for market research activities.
- Participation in consumer/market research.
- Scope definition and manage externally sourced design activities.
- Develop and management budgets, schedules, and personnel for the Industrial Design function in alignment with divisional strategy.
- Responsibility to generate and maintain Visual Brand languages for all the Home Appliances Brands as needed for each brand.
- Support Sales, Marketing and Corporate with PR., Brand, investors and customer events
- Responsible of generating Design patents for Key products.
- Company’s advocate of design, materials and finishes trends, responsible of creating presentations for global teams to translate them into concepts and products for our brands portfolio.
Education and Experience Profile
- Bachelor of Fine Arts or Bachelor of Science in Industrial Design from an IDSA (Industrial Designer’s Society of America) approved University
- MBA or other Master’s Degree desired but not required
- 10-15+ years of experience as an Industrial Designer for successfully marketed consumer durable, medical, automotive, or recreational products
- Portfolio of work from initial concept to final engineered solution with demonstrated successful design skills
- Leader of a team of creative staff that successfully converted strategic direction, customer/consumer desires, and technical viability into successful product designs
- Experience working with global marketing teams to create the Visual Brand Language for families of products
- Effective interaction with engineers and Asian suppliers to integrate viable technology into product designs
- Clearly demonstrated understanding of construction of product designs to meet product cost targets
- Experience working with Chinese suppliers required
- Effective planning and management of all industrial design activities
- Working knowledge of SolidWorks, ProE, Alias, Photoshop and other ID software tools.
- Technical knowledge of ergonomics and practical experience with Human Factors Design.
- Strong concepting ability that is clearly expressed through drawings, sketches, and physical models.
- Knowledge of Asian manufacturing method’s. Experience working with Asian vendors is required.
- Demonstrated ability to design products for global markets.
- Problem solving ability. Able to quickly understand scope and constraints of a problem and to develop solutions that meet timing, cost, business requirements and consumer needs.
- Patent process knowledge – strong understanding of the patent process. Ability to read and understand patents. Able to write clear design disclosures.
- Ability to analyze and interpret color and material trends and relate these to the specific market requirements for Spectrum Brands’ products.
- Ability to clearly communicate ideas, processes, and technical requirements through effective written, graphic, and oral methods.
- Demonstrated skills and methods of working with a wide variety of functional organizations to create designs that appropriately balance the desires of consumers with technology capabilities and product costs.
- Strong team leadership skills for groups of creative designers and technocrats.
- Departmental planning and management including personnel, budgets/expenditures, and capital improvements.
Job # US10732