Reporting to the Senior Vice President, Human Resources, the Senior Director, Human Resource (HR) Operations will be responsible for development, management and execution of the HR processes, procedures, and systems in support of the organization's mission and values. The incumbent will drive the evaluation and implementation of systems and standard operating procedures required to build infrastructure and ensure regulatory compliance in a fast paced and growing children's hospital. The Senior Director, HR Operations will have key HR teams reporting into them including HR Information Systems (HRIS), Total Rewards, and Talent Acquisition.
The Senior Director, HR Operations will be responsible for influencing leadership, driving results and operational effectiveness for Human Resources including the planning, implementation and administration of policies, practices, procedures, programs and services to ensure uniformity across the organization reinforcing the One Team culture.
Embraces and demonstrates support for the mission, values and goals of the organization through actions that are consistent with the HR Guiding Principles and Connecticut Children's Core Behaviors, while demonstrating cultural sensitivity in all interactions with staff, patients, their families and critical stakeholders.
The Senior Director, HR Operations is responsible for ensuring Connecticut Children's treatment of team members is fair, equitable, respectful, and consistent with our core business values and objectives. The focus will be on the execution of HR operational excellence across all functions and platforms.
Essential Functions of the role include:
- Develops and promotes Total Rewards philosophies, strategies and policies aligned to strategic organization goals of recruitment and retention
- Establishes Total Rewards goals and initiates specific programs to accomplish the department's objectives while ensuring cost-effective implementation.
- Collaborate with cross-functional leadership to review and evaluate current HR systems and processes and make recommendations regarding the development, implementation and integration of new or updated HR processes and systems to ensure HR operational excellence by team members.
- Create, implement and maintain a HR Dashboard & Analytics process to establish HR metrics that support the accomplishment of HR and CT Children's multi-year strategic goals.
- Act as liaison and partner with other departments on HR related matters including, but not limited to, payroll, benefits, HRIS system implementation & configuration, and growth initiatives.
- Ensure strict compliance with Federal, State and local rules, laws and regulations with respect to the maintenance of team member records.
- Employ continuous improvement principles to ensure that all HR operations are efficient and effective when delivering both the highest quality and service.
Total Rewards - Compensation & Benefits Administration may include:
- Directs Total Rewards staff in the analysis of market trends, best practices, and the competitive pay, benefits, rewards, recognition and well-being initiatives in place at other institutions in the healthcare industry to evaluate and recommend changes that will enhance CT Children's ability to attract and retain top talent.
- Ensures regulatory compliance with all federal, state, and local compensation and benefit laws and regulations. Keeps leadership informed of new developments and disseminates the information as warranted.
- Oversight of policy development, plan design, implementation, administration, and record-keeping of healthcare plans, retirement plans, and leaves for team members to ensure compliance
- Leads the management of relationships with brokers, vendors, consultants, and regulatory agencies. Leads the process for vendor proposals & negotiations and evaluation of vendor performance including feedback and recommendations for changes.
- Collaborates with the Legal Dept. in negotiation of contracts for services and programs with outside vendors/brokers to obtain cost-effective, maximum coverage for team members in all areas of responsibility.
- Provides leadership on Compensation Committee, Investment and/or Pension Review Committees monitoring investment options and fees, plan financials, and adherence to regulatory requirements.
- Lead Executive Compensation projects, including incentives, and assist in the preparation of materials for the Compensation Committee of the Board of Directors.
- Collaborates with Total Rewards team members and vendors to recommend physician and executive compensation, benchmarking, program design and improvements are current and competitive.
HR Information Systems (HRIS) specific responsibilities may include:
- Solicit input from consultants, vendors, IT and other internal stakeholders regarding oversight of the design, configuration, implementation and maintenance of HR Information Systems
- Management of all HRIS vendor relationships, contracts and statements of work.
- Ensure performance of regular system and data audits guaranteeing data integrity and regulatory compliance during the processing and reporting of HR data
- Oversight of the creation and management of metrics, Service Level Agreements (SLAs) and dashboards to improve HR operational effectiveness.
Talent Acquisition specific responsibilities may include:
- Collaborates with leaders on their workforce planning and staffing needs
- Manage the development and delivery of effective recruitment programs and leverage best practices to meet the business challenges and objectives of CT Children's.
- Lead the Talent Acquisition team, using CI tools, in the continuous improvement of sourcing strategies and recruiting plans, candidate offer management and a winning onboarding experience for all new hires.
- Lead the selection and implementation of a recruiting platform to streamline the recruitment process including: candidate identification and assessment, different research and sourcing strategies, trends and suggestions for world class client and candidate management.
- Lead the development of the Company's Talent Acquisition plans, programs and strategic initiatives to support current and projected talent needs.
- Oversight of the physician recruitment process including identification and support of the strategic and operational objectives required to attract and retain physicians and providers who can provide the highest level of service delivery and care to our patients.
Execute HR Operational Excellence
- Work with HR Leadership and all HR Centers of Excellence to provide feedback on strategies and programs to ensure all HR processes are delivered on time, on budget and according to established requirements with 100% accuracy.
- Fosters an environment of continuous improvement and ensures flawless execution of key practices.
- Participates and takes an active leadership role in department/organization/ responsibilities/projects.
- Improvement of team member engagement scores for areas of responsibility
- Manage, coach, and develop team members.
- Serve as a role model for leadership behaviors and attributes to all HR team members and the broader organization.
- Adapt leadership style based on situation, project, skills and experience of team members.
Education and Experience
- BA or BS in Human Resources or related field, advanced degree in relevant field preferred
- Minimum of 8-10 years HR experience preferably in a healthcare environment with at least 7 years of direct or combined experience in talent acquisition, compensation, benefits, or HR Information Systems.
- Minimum of 5 years of formal leadership experience
Position Specific Job Education and/or Experience
- Demonstrated experience as an internal consultant to management and staff
- Demonstrated experience in continuous improvement processes, initiatives and lean activities to improve organizational effectiveness
Licenses and Certifications
- PHR/SPHR, SHRM or World at Work certification is desirable
- Valid driver's license required
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Must possess an understanding of the business; quickly learn the organization's strategy and the industry
- Federal, state, and local employment laws
- Experience with multiple clients, dealing with a broad range of HR-related areas at senior levels of organizations
- Strong project management and organizational skills, bias for action and results orientation
- Excellent presentation and facilitation skills
- Strong problem solving and conflict resolution skills including strong interpersonal savvy and composure especially in critical events
- Work with all levels of the organization (including executive leaders)
- Travel to multiple locations.
- Must be able to deal with ambiguity and cope with change.
- Ability to think strategically and to understand a client's underlying business and organizational issues and determine appropriate level of guidance and support as either a functional expert or business partner.
- Proven ability to manage a wide variety of HR programs, roll-out of corporate HR initiatives ability to change the business through creative problem-resolution, policy creation or lean efforts
- Proven ability to build effective partnerships with leadership teams and team members and develop effective and matrixed relationships within and outside of HR.
Typical office environment with normal noise level. Occasional exposure to childhood illness.