Reporting to the VP, User Centered Design, the Senior Director of Digital Guest Service Design will play a critical role in creating world-class digital guest experiences across Marriott's brands and channels, and set the strategic vision for guest service design across websites, mobile sites, native apps, and other digital guest touch points, with a focus on digital executions at a broad portfolio of over 7,000 hotels worldwide.
In the course of your work with Marriott's digital products, including Marriott's native apps, guest room entertainment, Marriott.com -- one of the top 10 revenue-generating web sites in the world -- you'll come in every day ready to tackle interesting, challenging work that:
- Ensure the designed experiences are aligned with Marriott's business objectives and KPIs, and flow fluidly from one touch point to the next -- providing inspiration and support to the experience design teams
- Maintain a creative and entrepreneurial environment
- Lead an experience team and manage the work and careers of others
- Partner with Global Operations, Marketing, Loyalty, Customer Experience, and IT to articulate and drive the design vision for Marriott's digital guest services
- Drive digital guest experiences that transform travel, create delight for our guests in a localized manner, and deliver revenue growth in Marriott's digital business
Education and Experience Required:
- 8+ years working on large consumer-centric web and native experiences
- 6+ years in a global online capacity, designing and delivering products in a Top 50 digital property by traffic, revenue, or growth
- At least a Bachelors Degree (Masters Degree a plus), in Experience or Interaction Design, Graphic Design, Information Architecture, Branding or Marketing (or similar), or ten or more years of equivalent, professional design experience in a related field with proven track record
- Expertise in designing elegant flows and interactions across iOS and Android mobile platforms and responsive/adaptive design techniques that tie online and offline together
- Excellent persuasion, communication, and negotiation skills used to prioritize and communicate a strategic vision to corporate leadership driving the most value for the customer and the company
- Be proficient in iOS, Android, Adobe Suite, Sketch, Adobe Target/Monetate, prototyping, design systems, and globalizing design
- Have led the design of digital releases (native, web, or hybrid) and been responsible for the planning and execution of significant aspects of those releases
- Well-versed in industry best practices for increasing step conversion and satisfaction simultaneously
- Proven ability to execute in a fast-paced environment with autonomy
- Experience with online travel booking or other retail sites and loyalty programs
- Proven ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects and resources internally, and effectively collaborate with retained agencies
- Think of design as a system, with experience contributing to and maintaining pattern libraries as a way to influence both quality and efficiency for products
- Ability to articulate the distinguishing characteristics between segments of an audience
- Experience working on products and communications serving niche audiences, and can articulate what attributes make such audiences unique
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Be creative and agile:
- Develop interaction hypotheses that affect customer behaviors to drive engagement
- Partner with Product and Global Operations to create digital guest experiences and reduce friction in the consumer path
- Develop, refine, and build team through transition to new and innovative design practices
- Lead efforts to build digital experiences inside and outside of Marriott to drive innovation in the hospitality and travel industry
- Create customer-driven stories based on results and illustrated with visualizations
- Drive action through insight and placing data into context; make the insight approachable and easy to understand
- Work with Product in defining and prioritizing enhancements that support the digital experience and the implementation of those enhancements
- You have experience with the branding and promotion of a loyalty program, including the acquisition and retention of members
Be strategic and collaborative:
- Zealously explore mobile and touch-based design's unique challenges and potential and connect those to the shopping process
- Champion the meaning of browser viewports, media queries, responsive images, fluid grids, relative units, progressive enhancement/graceful degradation, mobile first, and content first
- Guide and direct a design approach aimed at crafting sites to provide an optimal viewing experience for users across a wide range of browser viewports, agnostic to device capability
- Analyze UX path results, collaborate with Product and CX on findings, and present to leadership and stakeholders
- Integrate design and testing conducted with other data and design teams across the organization
- Engage on and, as appropriate, oversee platform and channel decisions through a testing strategy
Be analytical and results focused:
- Manage several lines of digital UX paths and touchpoints to identify, prioritize, and drive conversion and satisfaction
- Translate business goals & objectives into experience constructs that specifically drive engagement
- Define the statistical methods and analytical techniques required to drive design decisions through the booking path, with special consideration to risk, brand, and segment opportunity
- Establish testing stories for Commerce, partner with Product and CX to create measurement strategy, capture required data and results, interpret results, and provide actionable insight to improve design and ultimately drive revenue
Be a great leader of others:
- Listen, prioritize, and respond to feedback from direct reports, colleagues, stakeholders, and supervisors
- Lead cross-functional teams comprised of Product Management, User Experience, Analytics, Acceptance Testing, and IT
- Train and evangelize design and research capabilities across Brand, Marketing, Digital, and IT teams
Be technical and detail oriented:
- Be responsible for maintaining documentation that expresses guiding principles for how something should work or operate
- Maintain and orchestrate standardized approach, such as style guides, component libraries, web standards, accessibility guidelines, brand guides, and SEO best practices
- Provide a consistent, intuitive user experience across the digital landscape
- Traffic, identify, and mitigate against visual defects in the experience
Manage and conduct Human Resources activities
- Interviews and hires employees.
- Ensures employees are treated fairly and equitably.
- Ensures that regular, ongoing communication is happening in department (e.g., pre-shift briefings, staff meetings).
- Fosters employee commitment to providing excellent service, participates in daily stand-up meetings and models desired service behaviors in all interactions with guests and employees.
- Incorporates customer satisfaction as a component of staff/operations meetings with an emphasis on generating innovative ways to continually improve results.
- Sets goals and expectations for direct reports using the performance review process and holds staff accountable for performance goals.
- Solicits employee feedback.
- Utilizes an "open door policy" and reviews employee satisfaction results to identify and address employee problems or concerns.
- Ensures policies are administered fairly and consistently, disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed according to Standard and Local Operating Procedures (SOPs and LSOPs) and supports the Peer Review Process.
- Conducts annual performance appraisal with direct reports according to Standard Operating Procedures.
- Champions change ensures brand and regional business initiatives are implemented and communicates follow-up actions to team as necessary.
- Identifies talents of direct reports and their teams and assists with their growth and development plans.