$80K — $110K *
Department of Education Vision: We will set all students on a path to success.
Priorities: Academics: All Tennessee students will have access to a high-quality education, no matter where they live. · Student Readiness: Tennessee public schools will be equipped to serve the academic and non-academic needs of all students. · Educators: Tennessee will set a new path for the education profession and be the top state to become and remain a teacher and leader.
Position Summary: The Tennessee Department of Education (“department”) has significantly expanded its Grow Your Own programs since launching in 2019. Currently the Grow Your Own umbrella encompasses: (1) traditional Grow Your Own partnerships between districts or charters and Educator Preparation Providers (EPPs) to expand opportunities for future Tennessee educators; (2) supporting the expansion of LEAs as EPPs; (3) building leadership networks that pay for current Tennessee educators to become assistant principals or principals at no cost; (4) facilitating and developing pathways for existing Tennessee educators to become certified in high-need areas through internally developed programs as well as funded programs with EPPs; (5) supporting the redesign of the EPP experience to focus more significantly on job-embedded and apprenticeship/experience-driven opportunities; and (6) thinking differently about policy and funding opportunities that will eliminate financial barriers to becoming an educator in Tennessee.
As a result of expanding this Grow Your Own footprint, coupled with the increasing need for a pool of educators in a variety of fields, the department is building out a more permanent and established Grow Your Own team. The founding senior director of this team will be responsible for working closely with the commissioner to understand and build upon the vision for this work; communicate and message the work so all districts understand the opportunities; design user-friendly guides and support structures for stronger implementation; and codify the work for replication throughout Tennessee and nationally.
This role requires someone who can operate as a programmatic initiative lead as well as a senior project manager to specifically focus on efficient and quality implementation in addition to strong operational and timeline management. This position will be responsible for developing cohesive project plans and work plans geared towards bringing together different pieces of work into one plan at the agency level; managing the movement of that work to meet the stated timelines; reviewing the work products in collaboration with the commissioner; providing regular information and updates for commissioner review; managing and overseeing the feedback and implementation process; hosting and coordinating efficient work groups; and other deliverables as needed.
· 5+ years of project management, or 5+ years of education management experience with a record of success
· Strong background in large-scale project or initiative implementation
· Experience managing teams, especially work that required managing other managers
· Experience with similar programs or with bridging K-12, higher education and workforce a plus
1. Develop coherent and comprehensive project plans and work plans related to Grow Your Own
2. Creates functional map of all Grow Your Own initiatives
3. Develops clear user-centered processes, systems, and guides for how to develop, design, launch and effectively implement Grow Your Own programs
4. Codifies all Grow Your Own workstreams in the department in a way that can be implemented in any state
5. Develop, review and approve content related to Grow Your Own work streams
6. Thought partner with and update the commissioner on a weekly basis about the project status
7. Develops and implements a product review process for project-related deliverables
8. Tracks movement of work to meet stated timelines and milestones
9. Communicates clear, specific, and understandable expectations for various project deliverables
10. Facilitates efficient meetings, as needed, to move project deliverables forward and in a way with clear, quantifiable outcomes noted
11. Builds relationship between districts, higher education, and workforce related to Grow Your Own
12. Build on the best practices established related to statewide reach, diversity, in-person and online options, and EPP innovations
13. Improve existing programs related to implementation practices, monitoring, scaling strategies, funding models, and operations
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
· Project Management: Ability to create and manage against coherent project plans and work plans
· Achievement Orientation: Ability to focus on end goal and adjust course as needed along the way
· Communication Skills: Strong written and oral communication skills
· Big Picture Orientation: Understands and navigates priorities of own role and department within larger context
· Detail Orientation: Excellent organization and ability to meet deadlines
· Relationship Builder: Ability to build positive relationships with diverse team members and stakeholders.
· Service Orientation: Understands a students-first approach and our role as an agency of service to Tennesseans
· Data and Outcomes Driven: Operates with an outcomes-orientation and data-driven mindset
· K-12 District Lens: Understands K-12 districts in a way that allows for the development of and direction-setting impacting efficient and effective codification and implementation of programs.
This role is responsible for managing multiple teams within the Office of Performance and Preparation.
The duties of this role will primarily be carried out indoors, in environmentally controlled conditions. The employee will be required to perform general physical abilities and handle and move objects. Work from home within the state of Tennessee is an option for this position.
Physical demands include walking, standing, bending, lifting, climbing stairs, and moving during working hours.
Some travel (~15-25%) across the state required. A driver’s license and reliable transportation is required.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for their job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Valid through: 12/13/2021