What we look for
Our exceptional and motivated employees are our greatest strength. Our employees provide the highest level of
customer service and help maintain our position as a leader in the global marketplace.
The Markel Style is what makes us stand out from our competitors. It's our core value which should underpin how we do business, while influencing our behavior and performance. We are looking for people who have potential and share our passion to live the Markel Style, which is described in more detail below.
If you think you have these core attributes we want to hear from you.
A senior level contributor within the IT organization who has Enterprise wide responsibility and governance for all aspects of the broader Markel technologyinfrastructures. This includes data center operations, platform services,network/telecommunications,user support, database administration and disaster recovery capabilities for all Markel lines of business spanning 20+ countries. This position will be responsible for achieving required business outcomes by ensuring operational excellence, driving the execution of technology initiatives across the broader Enterprise consistent with business strategic objectives.
- Establish/evolve overall vision for Markel Global Technology Services organization that is consistent with overarching business strategy.Ensure all associates understand vision and are using it to guide day-to-day actions
- Responsibility for defining, governing, and executing Markel’s Enterprise wide technology strategy
- Participate in strategic planning with senior business/IT leadership and ensure Markel’s technical infrastructure is able to anticipate / support business needs
- Work with senior/executive leadership to identify / drive IT technology initiatives that meet stated business goals and objectives and ensure strong business support before material new investments are made.
- Accountable for managing a broad portfolio of concurrent, complex projects and for ensuring execution is consistent with Markel standards / policies / procedures and that full transparency is provided to broader stakeholders
- Responsible for ensuring that projects are delivered on time and on budget.
- Responsible for defining business operational requirements and ensuring customer satisfaction and service level delivery meets/exceeds required levels
- Responsible for creating / organizing / developing an IT workforce with the skills required to develop, manage, and fully deploy the technology requirements of Markel and for evolving workforce maturity/talent to meet long-term Markel needs
- Responsible for identifying and managing risks within the broader governance framework(s)
- Responsible for overseeing/leading merger and acquisition and for successful integration of acquired businesses from a technical infrastructure standpoint
- Responsible for developing measurable key performance indicators with qualified and quantified data to assess achievement of business objectives, including return on investment
- Responsible for implementing standard and consistent operational policies and procedures, yielding increasing efficiency, accountability and business agility
- Responsible for creating a long term vision for technology that ties to the broader Markel business strategy and associated business plans.
- Provides strategic influence across the business, projects and products to implement cost-effective technology solutions to solve complex business problems.
- Implements and maintains the necessary controls and procedures to cost-effectively protect information systems assets from intentional or inadvertent modification, disclosure, or destruction. Provides guidance and direction for the protection of information systems assets to other areas as needed.
- Directly lead, motivate and develop a talented team.
- Responsible for coaching, developing, mentoring and conducting performance appraisals
- Responsible for maintaining staffing plans that support the business goals of each business owner – including balancing the need for full-time resources vs. contractors.
- Manage significant budget/assets within prescribed guidelines and ensure expenses consistent with business need.This includes preparing the annual budget and any required re-forecasts for responsible cost centers within the guidelines prescribed.
- Responsible for establishing meaningful, business-relevant metrics for technologyinvestments, analyzing those metrics, and taking appropriate action to ensure spend is consistent with business needs.
- Proven senior IT management experience
- 10+ years of proven experience in a senior level technology position
- Strong leadership experience is a must
- Large scale / International technical delivery expertise desired
- Proven track record of driving and defining complex IT strategy
- Experience in managing multiple IT disciplines and systems
- Experience in Audit Disciplines, including SOX
- Experience leading acquisition due diligence / integration
- Strong business-facing/consulting skills
- Advanced portfolio / project management skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills– Speaks persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; and is able to communicate complex IT solutions to the business community in a manner that is easily understood.
- Advanced analytical skills – ability to synthesize complex or diverse information; Ability to use data/analytics combined with experience to solve problems, designs work flows and/or create procedures.
- Adaptability - Manages competing demands; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
“Why work for us?”
Diversity and inclusion
Markel is truly a global and diverse company. We believe that diversity makes us better business partners and that embracing people’s differences can bring amazing results and fuel innovation. We have a portfolio of businesses and product lines that operate around the world.
Markel has a rich heritage of supporting communities across the world where our customers and employees live and work. Giving back is part of our history and our future. Our employees share in this philosophy through volunteering, mentoring and fundraising.
Commitment to open doors
Markel is committed to creating the best work environment. Our open-door policy is essential in recognizing business issues as they rise and to address the changing needs of our diverse and global workforce. Challenging management is a component of the Markel Style—some of our best ideas start from a conversation between a manager and an employee.
As the Markel Style states, we pursue excellence, strive for a better way, and share the success of others. Markel associates proactively seek new business opportunities, bringing further success to Markel.