The Senior Director, Global Insight at HarperCollins leads the company’s consumer research program which informs and supports all aspects of HarperCollins business: book acquisition, positioning, marketing, and pricing.
The Global Insight team works with each of HarperCollins’s global divisions to integrate consumer-driven research into all decision making across the firm.
Insight initiatives at HarperCollins include (but are not limited to) brand positioning/perception, consumer segmentation, conjoint analysis, message testing, attitudinal/usage measurement and customer satisfaction. HarperCollins research is in part generated via online community insight panels; the candidate will maintain and grow this initiative. The Senior Director, Global Insight reports to the CEO, Int’l & Foreign Language/CDO.
- Develops multi-divisional consumer insight strategy in alignment with HarperCollins broader goals and strategies.
- Collaborates with heads of HarperCollins divisions to integrate consumer insights into major strategic initiatives, as well as day-to-day operations.
- Leadership and functional management of Global Insight team (including Insights leads across the business divisions and New York-based Junior Analyst)
- Identifies and anticipates business opportunities based on the investigation and interpretation of a range of inputs including macro and micro consumer trends, HC proprietary and third party consumer research, sales data etc.
- Collaborates with Sales and Data Science teams to integrate sales and search data into broader cultural & consumer trends analyses.
- Maintains & grows a program of regular communication of trends & consumer insights across HC business units.
- Identifies, develops & shares research best practices with extended Consumer Insight group.
- Oversees global Insight budget & manage key vendor relationships across Insight group.
- Directly supports Corporate Executive, International businesses & Harlequin NA on day-to-day insights needs.
Success factors will include:
- Demonstrated integration of consumer insight in all aspects of the publishing process from acquisition to backlist marketing.
- A broader in-house expertise/insight around our customers, their relationship to books and the strategies, content, tactics and platforms of publishing.
- Industry recognition as a leading innovator in consumer understanding.
- 10+ years leadership experience in consumer insight: research, strategy, planning or consulting at an agency, media company, e-commerce brand or retailer
- Understanding of sampling and sampling techniques, screening, profiling, and targeting survey respondents
- Experience with online survey participant recruitment, engagement, and incentivization
- Strong background in quantitative questionnaire design and technical design review
- Direct experience with survey programming, data processing, and data tabulation
- Expertise in digital analytics tools
- Adept skill in translating analytics and statistics to marketing-style presentations and documents
- Experience managing community insight panels
- Advanced proficiency in Power Point and Excel
- International and domestic travel 2+ times a year
- Experience working with customer insight communities and vendors
- Facility with SPSS/SAS or equivalent statistical analysis programs preferred
- Reading proficiency in Spanish, French or Italian a plus
- A passion for books, reading and literacy initiatives preferred