Overview: The Financial Reporting Department is responsible for the internal and external financialreporting for George Weston Limited (GWL). This includes the preparation and review of published quarterly and annual financial statements and MD&A as well as financial accounting, periodic management reporting, annual budgets, forecasts and three year plans.
Reports to: VP, Group Controller, Financial Reporting
- Oversee the consolidation of the financial results of the Company and its subsidiaries.
- Oversee the period end close process of the corporate office and operating subsidiaries’ general ledgers ensuring compliance with the Company’s accounting policies, International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and regulatory requirements.
- Oversee the annual budgets, latest estimates and periodic forecasting for the corporate office.
- Partner with various departments and business units to ensure the timely and appropriate accounting and disclosure of routine and ad-hoc accounting issues.
- Prepare various Disclosure Committee and Governance Committee materials.
- Liaising with external and internal auditors.
- Oversee the preparation of the Company’s legal entity financial statements.
- Act as a technical accounting advisory contact for all levels of the organization.
- Lead various continuous improvement projects internally and with the Loblaw Financial Reporting Team.
- Oversee the Company’s consolidation system – Hyperion Financial Management.
- Participate in the Company’s ERP implementation.
- Special projects as required.
- CPA, CA designation plus minimum 7 years of experience at a public company and/or public accounting firm, including 5 years of management experience. Experience with external reporting is required.
- Strong leadership and ability to develop employees, provide guidance, direction and training, transfer knowledge and promote a positive working environment.
- Drive for continuous improvement, leveraging and adapting system functionality and challenging existing processes.
- Solid technical accounting knowledge and the ability to interpret complex technical accounting issues and implement practical solutions.
- Previous experience working with IFRS and OSC Continuous Disclosure requirements.
- Strong strategic skills, including the ability to leverage resources (people, processes, departments, tools) and collaborate to complete objectives effectively and efficiently.
- Strong decision making and problem solving skills, including the ability to independently and collaboratively gather, formulate and analyze data to support recommendations to senior management.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and manage multiple deliverables concurrently.
- Proven ability to confidently and effectively interact with all levels of the organization and to build strong working relationships in a team-oriented, deadline driven environment.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint.
- Proficiency in SAP, Hyperion Financial Management and Smartview would be an asset.