MapR Technologies is an equal opportunity employer.
BACKGROUND AND OPPORTUNITY:
Modern businesses create huge volumes of data across a variety of sources, in various formats, at extreme speed. Legacy applications stifle innovation and limit the efficiency of business processes. Majority of the Fortune 1000 companies are re-platforming their IT infrastructure and deploying apps in private and public clouds. Consensus is quickly forming that a converged data platform is required to support the broadest range of processing models.
MapR Converged Data Platform provides a platform for data-intensive applications that has limitless scale, extremely highperformance, built-in security, reliability/DR, and monitoring. The Platform provides files, tables and message streams in a single data fabric and is used by customers to serve both analytic and operational workload. MapR supports industry standard APIs (HDFS, NFS/POSIX, ANSI SQL, JSON, Kafka) to eliminate vendor lock-in. The Platform runs on commodity hardware in the cloud or on-prem, in both bare-metal and containerized environments and scales to 1000s of nodes and topetabyte scale.
Marquee customers include Fortune 1000 companies like United Health, American Express, and Cisco as well as Web 2.0 initiatives and companies like Aadhaar, comScore and Rubicon Project.
MapR is a software product company combining open source with patented, proprietary innovations. MapR has over 600 employees with operations in 11 countries. MapR is headquartered in Silicon Valley. The company is well capitalized having raised more than $200M from top-tier investors Google Capital, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Mayfield, NEA and Redpoint Ventures.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITY:
As a member of the MapR Leadership Circle team, the mission of the Senior Director, Database/Streams is to plan, build and deliver innovation in MapR Database and Streams products to make it industry’s most performant, scalable, reliable, secure and easy to use platform for building data-intensive applications.
Objectives include the following:
- Drive new innovation in the Platform and deliver industry-leading capabilities in the MapR Database and MapR Streams products
- Demonstrate success in emerging use-cases via customer, partner and sales engagement
- Develop a strong, empowered and well-rounded team of architect, leads, and engineers that span geographies.
- Hybrid role that combines strong hands-on technical contribution coupled with management
- Contribute to a fun culture
PROFESSIONAL BACKGROUND, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE
Essential expertise includes:
- At least 15 years of experience building systems software. A mix of enterprise product like databases/storage and cloud-scale/big-data infrastructure development is ideal.
- Ability to translate market priorities into sound technology strategies and judgments.
- Steady career progression with a good amount of time in the trenches of engineering before moving into management
- Gravitas and a "credibility" with customers
- Strong experience building high-performing teams and grooming talent
- Large network to attract top architects and engineers
- Education must include a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science
PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES AND VALUES
Relevant personal qualities include:
- Intellectually curious; interested in understanding and experimenting with new leading edge technologies.
- Inspires team members to contribute towards a clear vision of platform innovation to meet evolving market needs, instead of focusing on short-term features.
- Excellent communication skills.
- A consistently open, candid communications style; not a political animal.
- The ability to create an atmosphere blending drive, energy, creativity, pragmatism, results, and fun.