Roles and Responsibilities
- Serves as leadership for NJ Transit’s in-house design and engineering group, a full-service practice with individual departments for Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing, Civil, Structural, and Architectural disciplines.
- Responsible for ensuring correctness, constructability, compliance with regulatory agency requirements and engineering best practices for the in-house design and engineering group.
- Responsible for coordinating with the Department of Community Affairs to assist in obtaining plan release and securing permits for in-house design projects.
- Serves as in-house subject matter expert answering questions and resolving design related challenges.
- Manages supplementary staff / Task Order Consultant staff where needed for in-house project design work.
- Directs staff in the review and approval of shop drawings, product cut sheets, and project schedules, as required.
- Coordinates group effort with Construction Managers on issues encountered during construction and in support of field modifications and Project Managers during design and construction project phases.
- Establishes project design parameters and develops conceptual designs for proposed capital projects based on scopes/concepts provided by the Capital Planning group.
- Oversees the preparation of project related cost estimates, project budgets and construction schedules.
- Oversees review of consultant prepared design and construction documents for correctness, best practices, and conformance with NJTRANSIT standards and procedures.
- Coordinates with Rail Operations and Bus Operations groups to ensure planned and progressing capital projects meet their needs and can be constructed within agreed upon parameters.
- This position supervises the Director, M/E/P Design, Senior CAD Manager, Director, Architecture ,Director Civil/Structural Design Staff.
- Typical indicative of an office environment and capable of hiking /light climbing for field visit/visual inspection of facilities and facility components.
Education and Experience
- Bachelors Degree in Architecture or Engineering and ten (10) years of progressive applied experience in design and construction of facilities and transit related infrastructure preferred.
- Experience with project management of large scale highway, rail, major facility, or heavy civil works desirable.
- Understanding of basic project and staff management, advanced understanding of facility design and contract plan preparation, basic understanding of engineering and architectural work.
- Excellent communication skills are a must.
Certification, Licenses and Registrations
- Professional Engineer/Registered
- Architect licensure in the State of New Jersey is desired but not required.
At NJ Transit you will enjoy a competitive salary and excellent benefit package:
- Comprehensive Family Health Insurance – Prescription, Dental, Vision
- Flexible Spending Account
- Life Insurance
- Paid Leave
- 401(a), 401(k) Retirement Plans - up to 9% employer contribution
- Tuition Assistance
- Qualified Transportation Expense Plan (QTE)