About the role
We are looking for an experienced leader to define the future of big data in real estate. You will:
- Hire and lead the data engineering team. Engineering managers and ICs will report to you.
- Architect and build big data systems for Zillow Group (ZG).
- Define the future of how big data and analytics intersect at ZG. The analytics community at ZG will rely on you to build & maintain a data environment built for speed, accuracy, consistency and ‘up’ time. Support analytics by building a world-class data warehousing environment that empowers analysts to deliver insights to their stakeholders at ZG’s rapid pace.
- Be highly customer centric about serving the needs of stakeholders.
- Evangelize big data at the company. Executives seek your advice to solve their big data problems
- Be a trusted partner for analysts. Build and maintain data infrastructure, such as SQL Server, Redshift, Hive, Presto and Spark, and enable analysts to be more efficient and effective in their jobs. Help and mentor analysts. Analysts should never worry about data access or robustness of our data infrastructure.
- Partner with teams across ZG to ingest, store and enrich data throughout the organization within the company-wide data lake and underlying data marts.
- Coordinate and complete migration of legacy databases to a shared, scalable data infrastructure.
- Identify new opportunities for data platforms in real estate. Work with product management and executives to set the vision, strategy and goals for big data.
- Work with the machine learning engineering team to build AI products at scale.
- Translate requirements to development plans and effectively execute on goals.
- Be technically deep and provide input on design and code. Be well respected by engineers within the team
About the team
The Data Science & Engineering Team builds machine learning algorithms and platforms that power products across the company such as Zestimates®, personalization, advertising, Premier Agent®, user targeting, among many others. Our group builds the ETL systems and data marts that enables large scale analytics of petabyte scale data, which in turn makes possible for Zillow Group to determine insights into revenue, marketing, and product features. The team is building the next generation foundational layers for the company, such as the data lake, the central repository of all data in one place, as well as the user store, which maintains all user activity. Learn more about what we are doing at https://www.zillow.com/data-science.
Who you are
- 10-15years of experience leading engineering teams at an innovative software product company. 3+ years experience managing multiple managers.
- 7+ years of experience designing data warehouse/data lake and ETL architectures with Hadoop ecosystem, such as Spark, Hive, Storm, Presto, Sqoop, Kafka, Hbase, SQL databases, and HDFS.
- Experience building systems to instrument, collect and process billions of events, such as clickstream or GPS data. Deep understanding of measuring and ensuring data quality at scale.
- Deep expertise in cloud computing, preferably AWS, security, cluster sizing, and performance tuning. Ability to setup process and systems to monitor and reduce cloud computing costs for a large organization.
- 5-10 years in software development roles.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Experience working in an environment where analysts and business partners are your consumers.
- Experience in Python, Java, or Scala.
- Strong DevOps knowledge. Track record of applying DevOps with big dataarchitectures. Deep understanding of instrumentation, monitoring and alerting at scale.
- Experience building reports and predictive analytics solutions (Tableau, R, etc.)
- Exceptional at defining plans and goals and executing on them.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related discipline