We are seeking a Senior Director, Research to help set the strategic direction for our research agenda and be a content leader within Gartner’s Customer Service Research Practice. This includes collaboratively guiding researchers to generate provocative, data-driven insights and actionable business recommendations through our hypothesis-focused research. Sr. Directors have a privileged role in guiding our research strategy and working closely with C-level executives at Fortune 500 companies.
This position serves Heads of Customer Service and Support, focusing on critical issues in the fast-evolving world of service and support, including digital and self-service strategy, customer experience, and customer service talent strategy and operations.
What you’ll do
- Set the strategic direction for our research, and execute on our product plans, including research topics, webinars, diagnostics, white papers, and case studies.
- Conduct surveys and phone interviews with executives, academics, and industry experts to identify their most pressing challenges, discover best practices, and develop research products.
- Challenge and guide research teams to generate new and provocative ideas that challenge conventional customer service leaders’ thinking.
- Run complex research projects and guide researchers through our proprietary research process including hypothesis generation, primary and secondary research, and root cause analysis to develop new-to-world frameworks.
- Communicate research findings through creative, compelling research storylines in major presentations at Gartner conferences and executive meetings.
What you’ll need
- A Bachelor's degree required, a Master’s/PhD in a social science preferred.
- 10+ years of experience conducting primary and secondary research utilizing qualitative and quantitative data.
- Strong willingness to challenge conventional norms and views, persistence and intellectual curiosity to evaluate leading approaches.
- Ability to connect with, motivate and coach early-to-mid career researchers on effectively articulating and communicating ideas through prose and graphics.
- Strong experience in designing conceptual frameworks and graphics to visually convey complex ideas in memorable ways to an executive audience.
Who you are
- An intellectually curious person who is excited by the search for new ideas.
- A critical thinker and problem solver able to assess business problems and provide actionable, outcome-based insights.
- A great writer with experience publishing business related deliverables such as white papers, case studies, and articles.
- An excellent communicator and relationship manager who enjoys working with C-level executives and can disseminate complex data through relevant means.
- A business minded person who understands the difficult economic tradeoffs leaders must make on a day-to-day basis and can tailor recommendations accordingly.