At Northwestern Mutual, we believe relationships are built on trust. That our lives and our work matter. These beliefs launched our company nearly 160 years ago. Today, they're just a few of the reasons why people choose to build careers at Northwestern Mutual.
We're strong and growing. In a company with such a long and storied history, this may be the most exciting and important time to be a part of Northwestern Mutual. We're strong, innovative and growing.
We invest in our people. We provide opportunities for employees to grow themselves, their career and in turn, our business.
We care. We make a positive difference in our communities. Nationally, thousands have benefitted from our support of research and programs to fight childhood cancer. Each year, our Foundation, employees and financial representatives donate time, talent and financial support to causes they're passionate about.
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Reporting to the VP of Marketing, the Senior Director of Consumer PR and Social Media is responsible for bringing our brand strategy to life across social and earned channels in a creative & resonant way that drives large scale engagement and PR. This role will drive the overall communications strategy across Paid, Earned, and Owned channels while ensuring consistency with message delivery and tone of voice. This includes identification of key brand tentpole initiatives and always-on / real-time opportunities. This role will ensure the team is working in lock step so efforts are working as hard as possible for the Brand. It also includes the need to drive innovation in our connections thinking to expand the reach of the stories we tell for our brand across social and PR and any new channels that would help bring the creative idea to life.
- Supporting the development of brand communication, planning a calendar so we know the arc of the12-18months ahead and what steps we'll take with Communications along the way. Bring teams together and drive integration ofcampaigns and specifically:
- Drive efficiency and increase the impact of our integrated marketing campaigns and think through how to gain buy in to, and alignment behind, a compelling creative brief across all the teams who will ultimately play a role in bringing the work to life.
- Understand other team's needs and interdependencies, anticipate fire-drills before they happen, over-communicate.
- Provide regular status reports, timelines and delivery calendars, risk/issues reports to key stakeholders are engaged at the right times through the process.
- Define and oversee execution of the Northwestern Mutual enterprise social strategy, including consumer and field presence across social channels, leveraging them as platforms to amplify our brand story, educate, inspire and grow our followers while improving social media reputation and recognition.
- This role will also oversee social media amplification strategy, ensuring targeting and spend yield quality engagement and community growth at the most efficient cost.
- Set and communicate objectives and KPIs for Consumer PR and Social that ladder up to / support the overarching Brand objectives.
- Lead development and implementation of a benchmarking and measurement program to better measure the effectiveness of our social media program and tentpole activations, as well as the impact on brand health and areas for opportunity. Define structure, content and cadence of reports and ensure insights and actions are clear.
- Continuously review and assess the competitive environment and consumer trends within respective channels and develop and support the activation of insight-driven ideas that drive earned media results ongoing (i.e., surround sound) during and beyond campaign tentpoles, as well as relevance, engagement and likeability.
- Collaborate with function leads to ensure synergies across campaign executions throughout the year, as well as explore new opportunities, including strategic partners – e.g., talent, social influencers, paid media, etc.
- Oversee the development and execution of a research-driven and meaningful influencer strategy that reaches the core demographic across interests and passion points.
- Ensure team is working closely with the Northwestern Mutual Field Marketing team, providing them with the appropriate tools and information to communicate confidently and effectively in their respective markets.
- Work closely with Corporate Communications to identify synergies, overlap and weigh in on priority communications efforts, including issues & crisis, executive visibility and thought leadership, etc.
- Drive development of Communications assets in support of overarching campaign and supporting activations to be used/adapted for key audiences – e.g., Press releases, key messaging, Q&A, media strategy, photo and video content, field comms, internal comms, risk mitigation – as well as review other discipline-specific content through a Comms lens.
- Provide thought-leadership to the marketing team - e.g., what’s transpiring in the news, pop-culture and in business that NM Marketing should be aware of with a lens on what it means for our brand and if / how we have a right to play.
- Prepare internal reporting and merchandising collateral as needed for SLT and key constituents.
- This role will ensure our PR efforts link in a more detailed and authentic way to our positioning to ensure we're using that engine to power us as best we can.
- Lead the day-to-day efforts of Brand PR AOR across strategy, ideation, activation and results reporting.
- Inspire, motivate and mentor a team of four and external agencies to do their best work and deliver upon set KPIs.
- Oversee and deploy PR and Social Mediabudget to meet overarching goals.
- At least 12-14+ years in a communication or marketing agency and/or a combination of in-house public relations / marketing communications experience. Preferred sector experience: Lifestyle, retail and / or CPG.
- Must have proven experience leading, developing and executing successful integrated PR + Social campaigns for large world-renowned brands that yield positive results across brand and business KPIs. Superior project management skills.
- A deeply customer centric executive who understands the Northwestern Mutual customer, how to speak to them, engage and inspire them. Goes beyond traditional demographics and drills into data and behavioral + attitudinal insights to uncover a strong insight to craft a strategy that leads to ideas that are purposeful and meaningful.
- Exceptional leadership skills: Proven experience building and leading high-performance teams. An orchestrator, more than a director. You teach, you get dirty with your team, you take the reigns when you need to. Strong ability to unite a team and motivate and empower every individual on your team. You are committed to each individual’s growth and path within the company.
- A highly creative, entrepreneurial spirit who is self-motivated and constantly seeking out and identifying opportunities to drive the business forward without being told when and what to do.
- Strong interpersonal skills and able to work well in a team environment with a proven track record in driving partnerships and relationships with internal marketing functions / partners, as well as synergies and collaboration across integrated marketing teams.
- Ability to manage through ambiguity and establish process and structure to help the team operate more effectively and efficiently. Sets appropriate KPIs for the function and all initiatives that accurately measure the effectiveness of the strategy and campaigns. You know how to cast the right talent for an assignment, ensures everyone knows their specific role and deliverables and ultimately ensures everyone is set up for success. A positive force who leads with optimism, especially in the face of challenges.
- In the know with what's cool and what’s trending (culture watcher and has an ability to translate that for our brand.
- Strong agency management skills.
- Experience managing large-scale integrated activations in addition to nimble / quick-turn opportunities from start to finish – on-time and on budget.
- Ability to manage group financials, including accurate budget creation, allocation, and control – tracking in real-time to ensure optimization and / or making strategic decisions to shift dollars for greater ROI.
- Capable of pivoting as priorities shift and in response to how consumers are responding across activations.
- A collaborator at their core. Is open to new and different thinking, constructive feedback and working in lock-step with others to create an environment where everyone has a voice.
- Proven experience counseling CMO levels.
Req ID: 24248