Please make sure to attach both a resume and cover letter to complete your application.
The ASPCA is growing! The Real Estate and Facilities Operations (REFO) team is looking for an exceptional Real Estate professional to help us improve and grow our existing spaces and identify and build new locations across the nation to support more animals, pet owners, and communities than ever before. The REFO team is dedicated to planning, building and maintaining safe, functional physical and mobile spaces to ensure our staff and volunteers can carry out the ASPCA’s life-saving work for animals. We partner closely with colleagues throughout the organization and continuously improve our processes in order to deliver the most effective and reliable services possible.
The Senior Director of Real Estate Management reports to the EVP of REFO and will play a critical role in the ASPCA’s growth and expansion throughout the country. This position will lead real estate development projects, including all aspects of planning, designing and building new spaces; manage our real estate portfolio, including lease administration and space maximization; and support the EVP of REFO in long-term real estate planning.
Through this work, the Senior Director of Real Estate Management will lead steering committees to bring vision into action, building and renovating spaces that will allow our teams to carry out our mission and reach as many people and pets possible.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Real Estate Project Leadership (40%):
- Lead real estate development projects to deliver on-time, on-budget, new and renovated spaces that maximize our work, utilizing external vendors and partnering with internal stakeholders. Ensure a collaborative, needs-focused process with key stakeholders.
- Identify properties and lead site and facility assessments to best support operational and program needs, as well as environmental concerns, soundness of structure, zoning limitations.
- Research and present best options for assigned capital projects, including lease versus buy alternatives to determine most desirable cost profile for property decisions.
- As project leader, identify and engage required vendors and run selection process in accordance with the ASPCA’s RFP policy.
- Supervise outside licensed talent through capital projects, from land acquisition to completion of construction.
- Provide regular updates to ASPCA leadership on status of current and future real estate development projects.
- Oversee design development, permitting, bidding and construction process, ensuring compliance with quality standards and organizational needs.
- Coordinate efforts to obtain requiredconstruction and facilities approvals by working with community and governmental entities.
- Ensure that all projects comply with local, state and federal regulations.
- Work in partnership with the ASPCA Director of Safety and Security to ensure all projects include safety elements to protect people, animals, and property.
- Develop, monitor, and provide regular and accurate project budgetreports and forecasts.
- Monitor and communicate status, milestones and risks for projects.
- When assigned, represent ASPCA and serve as lead in negotiating existing leases/agreements and/or in advancing negotiations for future potential real estate projects.
- Administer an effective project close-out process and transition to Facilities Operations.
- Keep up to date with emerging global office space and animal facility designs.
- Develop and maintain strong alliances with Operations & Strategy division partners (People Team, Legal, IT, Learning and Development, Strategies).
Real Estate Portfolio Management (40%):
- Develop and administer effective processes for managing the ASPCA’s portfolio of real estate to support continued growth, including financial analyses and projections.
- Keep current on status of real estate options in current ASPCA locations for future expansion opportunities or cost savings.
- Support ASPCA leadership in formulation of long-range real estate strategies for ASPCA.
- Manage leaseportfolio, including negotiations, cost/benefit analyses for lease renewals, and opportunities for alternatives (including relocation, new lease agreements, property acquisition, or renovation).
- Maintain relationships in locations of interest to the organization that may identify and help to advance real estate opportunities.
- Work in partnership with ASPCA leadership and site-specific management to identify, review, assess and recommend decisions related to potential real estate projects for organization.
- Develop and maintain strategic alliances with external partners, includes, architects, engineers, project managers, consultants, landlords, property managers, brokers.
- Develop space management and maximization strategies and monitor utilization.
- Build vendor portfolio (procurement and relationships) to ensure high-quality, cost-effective, and timely outcome of capital projects.
- Determine and deploy necessary tools to manage and track relevant real estate data.
- Keep current on community affairs, including: community councils; community boards; local authorities, etc., so that ASPCA staff are aware of trends and relevant local information.
Real Estate Strategic Planning (20%):
- In partnership with REFO leadership team, support EVP in development of real estate strategic plan and annual goals based on the ASPCA’s organizational strategy.
- In partnership with REFO leadership team, maintain a five-year capital improvement schedule.
Exemplifies the ASPCA’s Core Values:
- Has Commitmentand dedication to improving the lives of animals
- Demonstrates Ownership and feels responsible for outcomes
- Believes in Team – that we are stronger together
- Seeks to Elevateothers and reimagine what is possible
- Focuses on Impact, specifically making change for animals
- Bachelor’s degree from accredited college or university is required; our ideal candidate will have an educational background in architecture, engineering, or a related field, enabling them to strongly support our partners and contribute to infrastructuredesign.
- 8-10 years’ experience in real estate development, construction management, or similar field.
- 5 years’ large-scale project managementexperience.
- Achieves Quality Results – Develops and designs build-outs towards the best possible outcome for program operations. Manages several projects and ensures on time and on budget execution.
- Drives Creativity and Innovation – Loves to take a blank canvas, research the current landscape, and develop something new and impactful.
- Builds Collaborative Relationships – Develops partnerships with key stakeholders to enhance involvement and support of all projects.
- Thinks Critically and Strategically – Dissects projects to ensure completeness, stepping above the operations to develop broad, forward-thinking plans.
- Demonstrates Perseverance – Feels comfortable navigating unfamiliar territory. Allows risks to be a challenge to mitigate (rather than a problem) so that the best possible impact and outcomes can be achieved.
Qualifications:Ability to adapt to change in direction and priority in a fast-paced anddeadline oriented environment., Ability to lead and manage teams, fostering a positive environment., Ability to operate independently while establishing strong working relationships with co-workers and cross-functional teams., Ability to recognize problems/risks and quickly identify ways to remediate., Ability to represent the organization well in working collegially with peers and colleagues within and outside the ASPCA., Ability to resolve conflict betweentrades/vendors and facilitateteamwork/collaboration., Ability to use data-management software to track progress to goals., Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with all levels in an organization., Demonstrated ability to lead a project team with provenproject management and organizational skills., Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects/activities simultaneously to achieve intended outcomes against competingdeadlines., Demonstratedexperience and overall understanding of the principles of real estate development including leasing,design,finance, legal,construction and operations., Demonstratedexperience developing, analyzing and managing capital projectbudgets., Demonstratedexperience working in a complex organization., Proficient in Microsoft Office applications., Skilled at interpretingconstruction documents., Strongquantitative and analytical skills to conductfinancial analyses and projections., Superior demonstrated written and oral communication skills, interpersonal skills, Superior negotiation skills.,Travel throughout theyear to existing occupied space andfuture opportunities(30%).
Education and Work Experience:Bachelors (Required)