Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
The Senior Director of Capital Financial Planning will lead and oversee Amtrak’s entire Capital financial process. This will involve leading the team responsible for Business Case analysis and project reporting, as well as the team responsible for budgeting, reporting and analysis. This person will help set a strategic financial vision for Capital Planning at Amtrak and help to implement it company-wide by working with various other departments within the organization including corporate strategy, enterprise project management, and executive department leads. Detailed tasks will include continuing strategically evolve business case process including project selection, evaluating project returns, and post launch results realizations. Provide executive level capital reporting and analysis on a monthly, quarterly and yearly basis as well as adhoc analysis to help support key issues within Capital; information will be used in executive packages and board presentations and will be used to make key decisions. This person will also help lead the monthly Amtrak Investment Committee meetings, where detailed project level analysis will be presented to Amtrak Senior leadership team. This person will also be responsible for the development of the annual and 5 year plan capital cycle by working with the different teams on key assumptions, inputs, and ensuring it meets overall strategic goals set internally as well as service line views related to FAST Act or other allocation methodologies. This person will also serve as a point of contact across all Amtrak and external federal government on Capital related items.
• Analyze on a monthly basis capital results and report to executives and other stakeholders
• Coordinate the Capital Planning life cycle to include collection, review, ranking and meetings with the Executive team
• Directs the creation and approval of company-wide Business Cases for requested Capital funds
• Work with Amtrak executives and Amtrak groups by coordinating and implementing policy, procedures, guidelines and criteria for decisions regarding capital programs
• Responsible for preparing Board of Directors briefing materials related to capital programs, reprogramming or policy changes
• Oversight and administration of reporting on Grant and Amtrak funded projects
• Develop processes and procedures to maintain data integrity and adapt to changes in policy, requirements or reporting needs.
• Assist the Senior Director, Financial Planning, in reviewing all incoming group data to ensure integration of all approved capital initiatives in relation to the annual Amtrak strategic plan
• Work with all levels of staff as a team to create and consolidate information across the company that supports the creation of the Business Plan, Annual Budget, Five Year Plan and forecasts
• Manage the flow of information in regards to Capital Planning
• Satisfy all requirements of internal and external audits of capital reporting including post-implementation performance audits, Amtrak OIG audits, and DOT-IG audits including A-133.
• Communicate procedures consistently to internal and external clients that help in cost control and allow Amtrak to operate as efficiently as possible
• Participate in projects including teams involved in cross functional assignments and impact Capital Planning
• Foster and maintain favorable and productive relationships with internal and external partners, customers, and agencies
• Perform ad hoc analysis as needed
• Extensive experience developing complex budgets, performing financial analysis, working with financial models, and creating financial reports
• Experience analyzing large, complex projects including detailed understanding and analysis of benefits, ROI, NPV, IRR, Breakeven and others
• Experience with corporate financial systems such as SAP, Peoplesoft, or Oracle.
• Ability to function independently and with minimum supervision and deliver sound and timely analysis
• Advanced leadership and management skills with proven ability to motivate others and ability to work with executive management
• Superior customer service skills
• Strong quantitative skills.
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office, in particular Excel
• Experience with SAP, BPC, Microsoft Office suite and other Databases and Reporting Tools
• Transportation or related industry experience
• CPA or MBA preferred but not required
COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent oral and written communications skills
Posting Location(s):District of Columbia; Maryland; Virginia
Education Requirements:Bachelors Degree
Travel Requirements:Up to 25%
Employment Experience Requirements:5 - 7 years of experience