Summary of Major Responsibilities
This position will be responsible for identifying, evaluating, and managing new strategic business opportunities, initiatives, partnerships, and alliances for Exact Sciences Corporation. This role serves as a resource and consultant to senior management in the assessment of a variety of strategic and new business and expansion initiatives. This position will be responsible for directing the scope, timeline, budget, resources and milestones for business development projects, which may include business expansion evaluations & analysis, strategic partnerships, research collaborations, and other value-adding projects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Create and execute a detailed and comprehensive business development strategy for Exact Sciences including international growth opportunities and market entry strategies
- Maintain continuous assessment of potential business opportunities for consideration and evaluation throughout the company’s growth phases
- Identify, evaluate and manage new, strategic business opportunities, initiatives and potential partnerships or strategic alliances
- Facilitate the scope, timeline, budget and resource allocation strategies for new business development projects related to expanded product offerings, alliances, partnerships, new market entry and product development strategies
- Liaise with clinical laboratory operations leadership team, product development, operations, finance, commercial and with additional functions within Exact Sciences to evaluate potential business development opportunities and operationalize these initiatives successfully
- Lead the deal negotiation and agreement structuring and liaise with appropriate internal and external partners in the process
- Drive effective and comprehensive communication regarding deal progress and develop metrics to effectively track success of deal
- Troubleshoot problems in the deal or integration process. Escalate issues when critical risks arise and maintain pulse with project activities to ensure productive progress.
- Present analysis and recommendations to senior management, the Exact Sciences leadership team, and the project teams. Maintain open and effective communication with and between personnel on work teams and with other members of the organization.
- Create a comprehensive process for evaluating potential deal targets, managing diligence process, and facilitating post-deal integration and coordination
- Strong analytical and evaluation skills and strong financial modeling capabilities
- Exceptional project management skills including coordination, communication and adherence to budget and completion goals, prioritization and troubleshooting
- Strong interpersonal skills; including strong written, verbal and presentational communication skills
- Possesses the ability to effectively interface and influence with all levels of an internal organization (executive, clinical, administrative, laboratory, ) and external organizations and service providers (e.g. banks, consultants, legal firms)
- Superb executive presence with potential deal target organizations and executives
- Results-oriented and influential; possesses the ability to develop, motivate and lead teams of cross-functional resources
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in science or business or equivalent education and experience in a related field required
- At least 7 years demonstrated experience in a business development/strategic planning capacity in the Diagnostic, Biotech, Pharmaceutical or Medical Device areas, evaluating and recommending successful business growth opportunities
- Strong understanding of relevant markets, strategies, and products/services with multi-disciplinary background by education and/or experience, including strong financial analysis and management skills
- Experience managing multiple projects, monitoring and reporting progress, and exceeding expectations including the ability to manage multiple projects with competing priorities
- Global project management experience, preferably with teams/priorities in disparate locations
- Demonstrated experience successfully implementing complex, business development and expansion projects
- MBA preferred
- Ability to use computers daily in an interactive manner for extended periods of time and up to 6 hours per day
- Ability to frequently and accurately communicate with employees, customers, e face-to-face, via the telephone or by email
- Ability to travel up to 40% of time.