The Senior Director, Asset Management is responsible for maximizing the profitability of Talen’s power generation assets located in the Northeast by achieving key objectives. As a member of the Northeast regional leadership team, the position reports to the Northeast Business Unit Leader, and under general guidance, plans, organizes, integrates, fiscally controls, directs, administers, reviews and evaluates the activities, operations, and services of the company assets. The Senior Director, Asset Management recommends strategic plans and ensures that execution of short- and long-term goals and objectives are consistent with Talen’s strategic plan, vision and values, while complying with applicable laws and regulations; and performs related duties as assigned.
Depending on the skills, qualifications, and experience of the successful candidate and the discretion of the hiring manager, this position may be filled at either a director or senior director level.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
With responsibility for the overall profit and loss (P&L) of Talen’s Northeast assets, this role manages the contractual arrangements necessary to physically commercialize the assets and coordinates between the plant operations team (including O&M contractors) and Talen Energy Marketing’s commercial team, which manages Talen’s short- and long-term energy market operations. As such, this position is responsible for duties that include, but are not limited to the following:
- Integrates, organizes, and evaluates the work of plant operations, Talen Energy Marketing’s commercial team, and related service providers to ensure that they comply with the policies and strategic direction set by management team.
- Manages facility contractual agreements and relationships related to fuel and electrical interconnections, water purchase and delivery, steam sales, and property leases, including oversight of existing agreements and negotiation of new agreements as necessary.
- Analyze and/or oversee the analysis of how contractual, market, and regulatory changes will affect Talen’s Northeast assets or business, formulate sound recommendations on how to address, and advise regional and executive leadership accordingly.
- As a member of the Talen Northeast regional leadership team,
- Develops and implement Talen Northeast’s strategic plan;
- Provides day-to-day leadership to ensure continued implementation of managements systems and practices; and
- Establishes quantitative performance standards for the key objectives and implement processes to achieve such standards.
- Works with Talen Northeast plant operations to
- Develop operating and capital budgets for approval and then implement approved budgets;
- Meet regulatory standards established for Talen Northeast facilities.
- Develops and implements initiatives/projects to improve facility and/or overall business profitability.
- Assesses regional, industry, service area, community and customer needs and ensures objectives and priorities are focused on meeting those needs effectively, efficiently, and with high quality service.
- Ensures daily optimization of Talen’s Northeast assets in the market through frequent communication with Talen Energy Marketing’s commercial team and related service providers.
- Support Talen Northeast’s accurate and timely financialreporting by working in conjunction with the Talen Northeast Division CFO, Corporate FP&A, and Corporate Accounting/Settlements.
- Supports successful implementation of and compliance with Talen’s financing arrangements.
- Works with Talen’s regulatory and external affairsteam to
- Manage relationships between Talen and state and local governments and other stakeholders;
- Participate in the NYISO and ISO-NE markets and stakeholder processes as necessary to support Talen’s Northeast business objectives; and
- Ensure that all requisite filings or other submittals are made on time.
- Participates in professional and community organizations on behalf of the Company
SKILLS / COMPETENCIES:
- Proficient understanding of business aspects of power generation with ability to
- Analyze and make sound recommendations on complex commercial, management, and administrative issues;
- Exercise sound, expert independent judgment within broad general policy guidelines;
- Present proposals and recommendations clearly, logically and persuasively in meetings;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships at all levels; and
- Exercise tact and diplomacy in dealing with sensitive, complex and confidential issues and situations.
- Experienced in asset management and/or operation and maintenance of large fossil-fueled power plants, preferably mine-mouth coal-fired power plants.
- Strong leadership skills and experience leading multi-disciplinary teams.
- Good understanding of NYISO and ISO-NE market structures and regulatory framework.
- Good understanding of day-ahead and real-time energy markets and capacity markets in NYISO and ISO-NE.
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks and projects concurrently. Ability to work safely and manage the safe work practices of others on project team.
- Capable of preparing clear, well-structured reports and presentations.
- Strong organization and project/work management skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient in office and technical computer applications and software, particularly the use of spreadsheets and project scheduling/tracking software.
DEGREES / CERTIFICATION / LICENSE / EXPERIENCE:
- Extensive experience within the power industry, including at least fifteen (15) years in progressively responsible facility and/or corporate management position(s), with a minimum of at least seven (7) years in an asset management role.
- Proven success in commercializing power generation assets, including managing facility contractual agreements and relationships, working with plant operations, and optimizing the market position of assets.
- A high level of self-management, commitment, trust, with an affinity with Talen Energy’s underlying values and the stature to operate effectively at a senior level are all essential.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant engineering, business administration or closely related field.
- MBA or other advanced business-related degreepreferred.
Number of Openings