Our growing team is seeking a Senior Director, Patient Advocacy, to lead the development and implementation of strategic engagement and collaboration with patient advocacy organizations, external partners and key opinion leaders. Reporting to the VP, Marketing, the senior director will be responsible for identifying, prioritizing and developing strategy and executing critical projects to drive key objectives that address patient needs.
The Sr Director, Advocacy Relations will be responsible for driving, building and enhancing strategic alliances with both mental health and addiction recovery patient organizations, other relevant stakeholders in response to patient needs and in support of Pear’s patient advocacy and related strategic goals. Thorough understanding of the patient community, this individual will bring the patient perspective into Pear’s decision making.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Lead the development and execution of Pears advocacy and industry relations strategy with patient advocacy organizations, external partners, and key opinion leaders.
- Develop and manage external relations with key stakeholder and influencers across societies, KOLs, advocacy and patient groups.
- Partner with key groups and stakeholders to implement initiatives that will help advance the education, access and coverage of Pear products.
- Partner with patient and patient advocacy groups, policy makers and other stakeholders to implement initiatives that will help advance Pear’s patient-focused objectives.
- Work with key opinion leaders to support advocacy and policy engagement and to educate stakeholders regarding Pear’s research, development and commercialization focus.
- Extend engagement with both advocacy organizations and professional associations, establishing and building alliances across areas of therapeutic focus.
- Directly manage advocacy projects, programs and events, including internal and external coordination, funding, and communication; connect advocates to Pear’s team members across functions to partner on key initiatives.
- Support ongoing development and execution of government affairs planning and strategy, and engagement with government agencies and regional business and policy organizations.
- Identify and engage key policy stakeholders and help manage interactions with decision makers and other healthcare stakeholders. Work directly with Pear’s partners to support key initiatives.
- This position will work closely with Therapeutic Area leaders of Pear to support local strategies and objectives and will coordinate with critical internal partners.
Competencies & Critical Job Qualifications:
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and communication skills.
- Demonstrated creativity and innovation in strategy and execution. Ability to work strategically and operationally.
- Ability to work collaboratively within a matrix team and with a wide array of internal and external stakeholders on complex issues, effectively work across functions with strong collaboration skills and influence without authority.
- Track record of building relationships with external stakeholders and developing rapport quickly.
- Strong knowledge of patient advocacy, relationship management and project management skills.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree required; graduate level degree preferred.
- At least 12 years of medical device, biopharma industry, or experience with direct responsibility for external advocacy and engagement.
- Demonstrated history of successful patient advocacy engagement and impact (experience in addiction and sleep preferable.)
- Demonstrated understanding of health policy as it relates to drug development and commercialization, pricing, reimbursement and access.
- Strong project management skills with the ability to independently drive projects forward, establish budgets and timeline.
- Ability to solve conflicts or challenges in a timely manner, demonstrating sound judgement with minimal supervision.
- Strong strategic planning skills - able to identify and prioritize critical projects to drive strategy and address patient needs.
- Strong interpersonal skills - builds relationships by identifying common goals and engaging in a transparent, trust-building manner.
- Collaborative - connects internal and external stakeholders, serving as a facilitator and integrator.
- Position can be remote based within the United States with preference for Washington DC.
- Patient Advocacy in Behavioral Health or Addiction Recovery experience is required.
- Ability to be creative, enthusiastic, and strong analytically, with excellent overall business insight, is fundamental.
- Demonstrate excellent leadership and ability to sell ideas and solutions to executive team.
- Heightened ability to collaborate, influence, and work with a team to be successful.
- Experience of managing multiple demands and priorities on time, leading teams, gaining alignment and drive decision-making is crucial to the success of this position.