As Ruby’s first dedicated DevOps Engineer, you’ll join a group of network, telephony and site reliability engineers, software architects and of course developers responsible for delivering world-class internal Receptionist and Chat applications to internal users and externally to our small business customers. The ideal candidate will play a key role in rapidly getting high quality code to production while maintaining highly reliable development tools and processes in close collaboration with our developers. In this role, you will maximize the predictability, efficiency, security and maintainability of our environments. This position reports to the VP of Engineering and is based in Portland, OR, but we’re open to fully remote for this position.
What You’ll Be Accountable For
- Providing operational feedback and expertise within the engineering team.
- Play an instrumental part in planning and deploying long-term infrastructure
- Perform infrastructure work and changes.
- Identify and develop automation and scripting to help improve development efficiency.
- Advocate for automation and tooling changes in planning meetings and within the organization.
- Train developers on tooling use when needed.
- Work with other cross functional and product teams to design key platform features.
- Attend team planning and stand-up meetings.
Your Work DNA
- You have a can-do attitude to tenaciously problem-solve.
- You have the desire to be ahead of the curve and passion for staying current on the latest DevOps technologies and strategies.
- You effectively assist developers and provide constructive operational feedback.
- You have a process-oriented mentality
- You effectively communicate with internal and external stakeholders.
- You are a self-starter, self-reliant, but know how to be a team player.
- You can be productive with multiple languages, frameworks and paradigms and have the willingness and capacity to learn new frameworks and languages quickly.
- 4+ years’ experience of deploying and supporting infrastructure and 1+ years’ experience with continuous integration and deployment
- Extensive knowledge of and ability to administer and monitor various services running on Linux and Windows Server.
- Proficient with commonly used Amazon Web Services infrastructure and patterns and stay informed of AWS developments.
- Experienced with SQL and NoSQL database technologies
- Familiarity with Agile methodologies, specifically Scrum.
- Experience with automated testing frameworks, concepts, and automation-centric workflow management
- Experience in micro-service or service-oriented architectures
- Understanding of virtualization and containers (Docker)
- Familiarity with containerization and serverless architecture concepts
- Demonstrated experience with implementing systems that adhere to security best practices
- Some experience with telephony would be a plus
While we’re all remote currently due to COVID, work typically takes place in an open office setting. It requires the ability to sit and work at a computer for extended periods of time and communicate effectively with a diverse audience in person, by phone and computer.
Ruby Receptionists is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state or local laws. We support and encourage diversity!